Innovative Defense Technologies (IDT), provider of automated software testing, data analysis, and cybersecurity solutions for complex, mission-critical systems in the US Department of Defense (DOD), is seeking a Software Engineer Tech Lead to be based in our Arlington, VA office.
IDT is seeking a mid-level software or systems engineer for a technical leadership position in the Arlington, VA area. The ideal candidate will have technical leadership experience in complex DOD software based systems and able to manage contractual deliverables while driving a technical team through the challenges of developing complex software and system solutions on tight schedules with dynamic requirements. The position would include the role as deputy to a more senior technical lead.
All applicants must currently possess an active U.S. Security Clearance.
- Managing small teams of software and/or systems engineers in the development automated software testing capability
- Managing the day to day tasking to ensure the team works as an efficient unit
- Identify and manage risk associated with technology development programs
- Support structured process improvement activities
- Being an effective liaison between the detailed tasking performed by the junior engineers and senior technical leads
- Responsible for maintaining tasking software (JIRA, Bugzilla, MS Project, etc…) with detailed tasking for senior level inspection, discussion and report out
- Preparation and delivery of contractual deliverables and
- Proficient in software development with ability to get up to speed quickly and contribute with the junior engineers.
- Perform design and code reviews for junior engineers
- Propose and design scalable, extensible and secure software and systems architectures
- Travel 15%
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in the development of complex software driven systems for the DOD.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics
- Master's Degree in Engineering or other technical field desired.
- Proven ability to work closely with Program Managers and Chief Engineers to document, manage and communicate systems and software requirements.
- Strong knowledge of DevOps, continuous integration and software development processes at scale
- Architecture experience in relevant application and web server environments including, but not limited to WildFly, Jetty, JBoss, Apache, and NGINX.
- Ability to interface with customers from both a technical and programmatic context
- Ability to convert vague customer requirements into a refined vision and detailed tasking for a technical team.
- Desire to keep senior technical personnel up to speed continually with status and progress of tasking
- Desire to contribute at the leadership level and the detailed technical level simultaneously
- Experience with enterprise level Virtualization technologies, such as VMWare ESXi
- Experience with enterprise level Containerization technologies, such as Docker
- Experience with one or more Navy platform level combat or mission system design, operation and testing.
- Cyber Security knowledge. Awareness with application hardening and security vulnerability scanning.
- Attention to detail
- Software architecture and development
- Attention to documenting and sharing information
- Initiative, creativity, reliability, teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to work across the IDT enterprise effectively
- Ability to lead small teams comprising passionate and varying opinions
- Desire to develop junior talent
- Ability to convey technical ideas and concepts to IDT coworkers and customers
- Solid analytical abilities, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
IDT is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.