Software Integration Principal Engineer – Austin, TX
Dell, Inc. is a worldwide provider of information technology services and business solutions to a broad range of clients. We are currently looking for a Software Integration Principal Engineer to join our Dell Extreme Scale Infrastructure (ESI) Solutions Engineering Team in Austin, TX . We seek men and women who share our values, thrive in a team environment, and recognize the importance of accountability; people who strive to exceed expectations to ensure our Clients' success.
This position will have direct contact with functional areas across Dell, and will be instrumental in setting direction and priorities as a representative of our customer. There will be close collaboration with Marketing, Architecture, System Engineering, Sales, Support, Integration and Validation teams within Dell. This position offers opportunities to help design high level customer strategies, as well as and deep dive on complex technical issues.
The successful candidate for this position will manage the lifecycle of firmware used in infrastructure (chassis, racks, servers, etc.) controllers, from design through sustaining. This engineer will be responsible for working as a member of a team of solutions and systems engineers to efficiently understand customer requirements and to participate in the design, implementation, test, and release of these products. This individual will drive evaluation and adoption of ESI solutions within the Customer's environment, enabling customers to integrate these infrastructure products into their operations.
Specific expectations of this position include:
- Drive the Austin Design Center, Taiwan Design Center, and software vendor technical product development teams to deliver the right products for the customer base, and to drive quality into the products during all phases of the product life-cycle.
- Support sample demand build and coordination on priorities across all ESI business bases. Sample building includes performing system concept evaluations and sample builds for the purpose of taking measurements as requested by the customer (e.g., benchmark, power measures, etc.) through delivery and support of these units.
- Coordinate with product development managers in the Taiwan Design Center and with Customer Solutions Teams to ensure that sample units provided within your base are understood, and that any additional required development engineering (new qualifications, regulatory compliance, etc…) are tracked and managed by the development managers appropriately for the timing and probability of business award.
- Provide technical support for delivery of systems to customers, including occasional technical support to factories during product builds as well as support at integration facilities to ensure systems are correctly built, integrated at the rack or container level, and configured prior to deployment to customers. In this function, participate as a member of the Customer Solutions Teams related to your business base.
- Support Customer Engineering teams and the Sales team to ensure that field operations are meeting the customer expectation. Support for this may include on-site support as required in addition to providing technical direction to services on periodic platform updates and service actions. In this function, attend the ESI Services Core team meeting.
- Eight years of experience with BSEE, BSCS, or equivalent degree
- Have deep understanding of Data Center products, including devices and technologies such as server BIOS and BMC, Switches, PDUs, Serial Switches, etc., and deployment / management tools and capabilities.
- Strong experience in embedded development of server control and management systems; deep understanding of Linux; and strong working understanding of BIOS and BMC Firmware.
- Strong experience and knowledge of protocols like I2C and SPI.
- Experience with networking and VLANs.
- Very strong customer interaction experience and skills.
- Experience with managing software vendor and contractors.
- Knowledge of IPMI and Redfish standards is required.
- Ability to develop scripts to support testing and deployment activities in different environments.
- Strong ability in organizing and managing multiple projects, tasks and changing priorities.
Other Key Elements:
- Ability to write and analyze requirements, functional specifications, design specifications, test plans, and other technical documentation.
- Advanced knowledge of server and storage hardware systems.
- Working ability to drive cross-functional development efforts through conception, planning, implementation, and sustaining.
- Thorough understanding of appropriate technologies, vendor products, and competitor's offerings.
- Ability to analyze options for critical design elements and features and determine optimum selection.
- Thorough ability to identify potential product weakness and be able to provide design guidance and recommendations for improvements to subsequent redesigns.
With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities, regularly volunteering for over 1,500 non-profit organizations. The company has also received many accolades from employer of choice to energy conservation. Our team members follow an open approach to technology innovation and believe that technology is essential for human success.
Why work with us?
- Life at Dell means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology.
- When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution.
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships.
- We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential.
- Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.
Dell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
One Dell Way Round Rock, TX, 78682