Application Deadline: Continuous/Open Until Filled
Apply online only at: www.charlottesville.gov/jobs
The Department of Information Technology is seeking qualified candidates to be considered for the position of Software Systems Architect. The City endeavors to maintain leading-edge technology while providing cost effective IT services. As part of the Information Technology Department, the Software System Architect is responsible for designing the architecture for the City's portfolio of mobile, client-server, web-based software, and could-native applications under the supervision of the IT Applications Manager.
The hiring salary will be between $70,000 and $104,998.40 annually. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City's retirement options, and continuing education/training opportunities.
- Provides high-level architectural design, specifications and oversight to ensure all software applications function efficiently and (where applicable) are properly integrated with related systems developed in-house and provided by vendors;
- Provides proactive technical and administrative leadership in defining the most effective software systems architecture to meet complex system requirements using a combination of technologies including: Cloud-Native, Application Development, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Server, Android Development Studio, Swift and Objective-C, ESRI, Python, Microsoft SQL Server Reporting, City ERP System (SAP);
- Designs, develops, deploys and maintains complex software applications;
- Serves as a solutions consultant to Departmental staff;
- Identifies and resolves complex software application issues that affect City Departments' ability to meet objectives;
- Provide technical leadership in emerging technologies such as Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence;
- Stays abreast of emerging software system design techniques and programming technologies;
- Identifies and recommends process, procedure, policy and control improvements;
- Provides constructive feedback in meetings and to other team members;
- Reports to the IT Applications Manager;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or MIS.
- Must have an in depth knowledge of software system architecture in an integrated environment with applications developed in house and those provided by vendors.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience designing, coding and implementing complex mobile, client-server and web applications using Objective-C, Swift, Python, Android development Studio, Microsoft Visual Studio and SQL Server.
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills to confer with clients, IT staff and vendors.
- Experience developing software systems using Cloud providers, Azure and/AWS is preferred.
- Experience architecting, integrating and developing software systems using ESRI and Python is preferred.
- Experience in Big Data, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence strongly preferred.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information and to apply, visit the City of Charlottesville employment page listed. Applications are only accepted online through our employment page.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.