South Pole Station Manager
Leidos has an opening for a South Pole Station Manager. The position will deploy to the South Pole Station, Antarctica, for 13 months and serve as the senior site lead during the 9 months of the austral winter. Deployment to Antarctica is required for this position. The position will be performed in Denver CO for 6-7 months for pre-deployment training & planning before deploying for the 13-month on-site assignment at South Pole Station. This is a Seasonal Contract position of up to 19 months (13 months deployed) from approximately April 2020 - November 2021. This position requires successful completion of physical and dental examinations required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements will result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
The standard work schedule for this position is 40 hours per week in Denver, 54 hours per week when deployed to Antarctica. (Monday through Saturday, 9 hours per day.)
The South Pole Station Manager will assist the South Pole Area Management in the day-to-day management of Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station during austral summer (4 months), before becoming the senior leader on site for the full austral winter season (9 months).
Typical Education and Experience:
- Leading day-to-day site operations during the austral winter. This includes conflict resolution; de-conflicting resources; ensuring operational schedules are met and tasking is completed.
- Responsible for coordinating and tracking the final selection process for winter personnel and organizing & coordinating pre-deployment team building & emergency response trainings for winter-over staff.
- Provides station leadership & management, and serves as the senior on-site point of contact for all activities at South Pole Station during the austral winter season.
- Serves as the main liaison between the on-site staff and the various functional leads at Denver ASC headquarters.
- Ensures that winter personnel provide responsive and appropriate levels of support to all program participants at South Pole Station during the austral winter.
- Plans & leads station emergency response program, on-site training and emergency response teams.
- Interacts, as appropriate, with National Science Foundation representatives, science grantees, military, aircraft contractors and other support entities.
- Other duties may include: Environmental Safety and Health, Finance or other responsibilities.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 10 years of professional experience; or 8 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree. Leadership
experience must include the demonstrated ability to work with and independently manage a diverse, skilled work force. Demonstrated ability to successfully manage conflict resolution and problem solve operational & logistics issues is required. Leadership experience at remote locations is highly desirable.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 100% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500 information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com .
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here .
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.