In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.Responsibilities
Join our team as we help shape the future of space exploration and applications. This role involves conducting fundamental and applied space science research to solve hard problems in effects of the space environment on space system design and operation with a focus on spaceflight hardware development. Our team works to understand the fundamentals of space weather and its impacts for applications in space system design and operations. This role is focused on space environment research and the development of innovative instrumentation concepts for our customers. The role also includes reporting on scientific and application results through direct interactions with customers and corporate leadership, participation in scientific conferences, and through peer-reviewed publications. Key Functions
- Apply scientific methodology to solve problems in space science and applications.
- Space sensor technology assignments: understand the state of the art in space particle and plasma research; collaborate within the Corporation and with external organizations to develop innovative sensor technologies for measuring and monitoring space hazards including particles; participate in proposal teams for sensor development, ground data system development, flight, and mission operation opportunities.
- Applied research assignments: engage with space system operations communities to document and understand the role of space weather in operations; participate in anomaly investigations; use established system assessment methods to advise on material solutions for space weather information.
- Fundamental research assignments: exploit PSL and space science community data and modeling expertise for focused research in heliophysics.
- Customer interaction assignments: support and grow interactions with a diverse set of customers; propose new sensor concepts related to space weather and space environment; routinely engage with Corporate and external sponsors by documenting, publishing, and participation in real-time interactions.
- Ph.D in space physics from a recognized institution.
- Experience in conducting space science research with focus on experimental techniques and data exploitation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain secret clearance. This is issued by the U.S. Government and U.S. citizenship is required.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
- 5 or more years of increasingly responsible and related scientific experience
- Experience with spaceflight hardware: requirements development and management; technology trades; ground-based testing and calibration; delivery and integration; mission operations
- Experience with exploitation of datasets of space physics measurements involving ground data management and fundamental research
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement