The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.Job Summary
The Systems Engineering Division (SED) provides unmatched experience in systems engineering to the U.S. government and to numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology. From systems architecture development to system analysis and optimization, astrodynamics, orbital debris, navigation, failure analysis, mission assurance, cost and schedule assessment, and economic market analysis, SED exploits an incredibly broad array of engineering and business disciplines against a diverse and dynamic portfolio of programs and national challenges.What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- As a member of the Mission Analysis and Operations Department (MAOD), you will be providing technical capabilities to support our customers in space situational awareness analysis and cradle-to-grave operations.
- You will contribute to multiple focus areas of the department, which include general orbital analysis, mission planning, orbit and maneuver modeling, space object catalog process analysis, orbit determination, formation flying, and proximity operations analysis, and space protection and threat assessment.
- Our real-time operations support performs launch and on-orbit collision risk assessments, on-orbit breakup event analysis, trajectory planning and optimization, and deorbit/reentry analysis.
- Other support includes general modeling, analysis, agent-based simulation, and visualization of space systems as needed to accomplish program objectives.
- This position requires the candidate to have enough experience in theoretical and applied astrodynamics to learn and contribute to focus areas listed above. Furthermore, members are expected to:
- Interact with other Aerospace staff; contractors; civil, commercial, and government personnel to define and address customer needs
- Apply and develop analysis tools and techniques as necessary
- Interact routinely with department staff as part of the project team(s)
- Travel occasionally (as necessary) to support customer efforts
Minimum Requirements for Member of Technical Staff:
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, math, science or related technical discipline from an accredited school
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience. Applicable training/post-graduate study may be considered to meet part but not all of this criterion.
- Significant aptitude with astrodynamics and related mathematics
- Skills in mathematical formulation and derivation
- Demonstrated skills in the development and use of computer software tools
- Ability to take direction and work independently and good interpersonal skills
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Additional Minimum Requirements for Senior Member of Technical Staff::
How You Can Stand Out
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience. Applicable training/post-graduate study may be considered to meet part but not all of this criterion.
- Experience with astrodynamics and related mathematics
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Advanced degree in engineering, math, science or related technical discipline from an accredited school
- Experience with Python, C/C++, Fortran, and/or AFSIM
- Direct experience in areas of support mentioned above
- Current and active Top-Secret Clearance (TS) with SCI access
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation. Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .