Specialist-Engineering Technician supports natural gas compressor station automation systems including: industrial gas turbine / centrifugal compressor trains, internal combustion engine / reciprocating compressor packages and ancillary equipment including fans, pumps, air compressors, and cooling towers. Specialist-Engineering Technician works with Automation Engineers in the design and implementation of projects utilizing major DCS, PLC, and Safety System or SCADA control system platforms. On occasion the Specialist - Engineering Technician will assist with troubleshooting. The Specialist - Engineering Technician may work with Environmental Representatives in assessing engine and compressor performance / compliance.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot and resolve automation and compressor controls issues that cannot be remedied at the Operations level
- Examples include: failed starts, unit trips, erratic operation of compressors.
- Maintain and troubleshoot turbine and reciprocating engine and PLC code in unit and station controllers as well as ancillary equipment, ESD and safety systems.
- Maintain and troubleshoot compressor station HMI node programs and provide direct support to HMI hardware.
- Provide technical input/assistance at key phases of capital projects (scoping, design review & commissioning).
- Review and implement company standards where applicable in PLC programming and HMI development/programming.
- Support SCADA data transfer to Gas Control and COMETII.
- Support multiple controls platforms including: WonderWare, RS Panel View, Allen Bradley, Siemens, GE Fanuc.
- Assist in the establishment/support of automation standards for reporting to Gas Control.
- Support technical training curriculum for Operations Specialist including E&C Technician advancement reviews.
- Provide technical advice and support to Operations Specialists and site leadership the basics of plant operations and troubleshooting.
- Identify opportunities and implement plans for improved performance and reliability of plant systems.
- Provide technical advice and support for Third Party Vendors performing specialized work on plant systems.
- Provide support to Environmental Representatives and Company or Contract testing group in resolving emissions testing issues.
- Implement solutions and/or corrective actions to resolve issues generated by Third Party Vendor Technical Service Bulletins.
- Successful applicant must be a disciplined, self-starter who is capable of working with minimal direct supervision.
- Supports the identification and prioritization of capital and O&M improvement projects.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Associates degree in electronics or computer technology with an emphasis on industrial automation, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Incumbent should have at least 3 years of experience in operations, maintenance and capital-project support of industrial automation systems.
- Position requires familiarity of natural gas compression facilities, rotating machinery including reciprocating engines / compressors, gas turbines and / or electric motor driven centrifugal compressors, ancillary support systems such as air systems, cooling water systems, and medium voltage electrical distribution systems.
- Experience with start-up and commissioning of compressor-station and or industrial facilities is desired.
- Incumbent should have a working knowledge of the NFPA 70E / NEC, and Part 192 of the DOT Pipeline Safety Regulations.
- Incumbent must be proficient in PLC programming and troubleshooting, including ladder logic and structured text - experience with Rockwell RSLogix-5 and RSLogix-5000 is required.
- Incumbent must be proficient in HMI development and troubleshooting- experience with WonderWare HMI / SCADA implementation or equivalent is required.
- Strong understanding of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and Microsoft operating systems.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills. Must be able to prioritize assignments according to business needs.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills - proven ability to produce clear, concise written reports, and discuss and review, and present technical information.
- Excellent team working skills - demonstrated ability to work with operations groups, support groups, and engineering support staff.
- Must be able to work without close supervision.
Certificate, licenses, registrations:
Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
Competencies, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated customer focus in dealing with engineering, field operations, and other internal and external groups.
- Ability to effectively organize, plan, prioritize, document, and complete work with a minimum of supervision.
- Must be comfortable working with remote supervision.
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), prioritize and adhere to established work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Must be able to speak and understand English
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to tolerate extreme conditions; will work outdoors in all seasons.
- Must be able to frequently: enter confined spaces; and climb to and work from elevated platforms, ladders and walkways.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds in awkward positions, and 50 pounds from floor to waist.
- Must be able to see, hear, walk and speak clearly.
- Must be available provide reasonable response to callouts and emergency situations.
- Required to carry a company-provided cell phone, and be available to respond during working hours, and non-working hours as needed.
- Travel is required and anticipated as up to 40-50% on average and may occasionally include out-of-town nights and weekend travel.
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
Prefered education, experiences, certifications, competencies, skills and abilities:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or Computer Science
- Industrial automation project management experience.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.