NexGen Data Systems is seeking a Splunk engineer with experience supporting a diverse tiered Splunk architecture for a network of Department of Defense systems with on-premise and cloud implementations. The ideal candidate is well versed in all aspects of Splunk administration and applications, possesses deep virtualized RHEL 6/7/8 server experience, is security minded, self-motivated, and demonstrates a passion for scripting and automation (Bash, Puppet, Python). The Splunk engineer will work with a team of highly skilled systems engineers to support the growing demands of the Department of Defense.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support Splunk in a virtualized environment to design, develop, test, troubleshoot, deploy, and maintain Splunk solutions, including dashboards, reports, and alerts.
- Use JIRA, Confluence, Remedy, and Service Now to develop and complete stories, prepare, and update related documentation, and engage with Splunk and other engineering teams as well as Splunk service consumers or customers.
- Support Splunk in a virtualized environment with RHEL and Windows operating systems.
- Use Agile CI/CD including standups to coordinate and report progress and blockages.
- Integrate and configure third party Splunk applications such as Tenable vulnerability and STIG scan data to improve and accurately convey critical cyber-related information.
- Use Splunk search language to creates queries and integrate in dashboards and other methods to provide actionable insights from Splunk events.
- Participate in internal / external security audits/inspections, create, and maintain Plan of Action and Milestones (POAM) as required.
- Leverage solid understanding of logging technologies (syslog, Windows, RHEL).
- Use extensive knowledge of a tiered Splunk installation; indexers, forwarders, search heads, clusters to minimize footprint and cost and maximize efficiency and value.
- Standardize Splunk UF deployment, configuration, and maintenance across a variety of platforms.
- Create data retention policies and perform index administration, maintenance, and optimization.
- Manage the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, and enhancements and maintain the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Strong knowledge of Splunk search language, architecture, and best practices.
- Familiar with at least one scripting language: Bash, Python, PowerShell, or Batch.
- Familiar with DISA STIGs to deploy, configure, and maintain compliant RHEL systems.
- Ability to comply with RMF accredited systems, controls, and processes.
- A broad background in technical infrastructure, including servers, networking devices, storage, applications, and web technologies is desirable.
- Experience and familiarity with IT management products and services.
- Desired experience includes Splunk certifications, OpenRMF, STIG-Manager, Cribl, and Windows server admin.
- 8570 Compliance required.
- Secret Clearance required.
About the Company:
NexGen Data Systems is an emerging technologies focused company providing expert systems and network engineering solutions to the Department of Defense. NexGen Data Systems promotes a culture of knowledge and career advancement through continued learning, keeping our team current on the latest advances in systems and networking, and enabling our team to provide the best available solutions to our clients.
- Company covers 100% of premiums for the employee’s medical, dental, and vision insurance and subsidizes premiums for spouse and dependents.
- Company provides short and long term disability plans.
- 401(k) match up to 10% of the employee’s salary contributions to 401(K) plan.
- Comprehensive training and development program.
- 11 paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) accrual level starts at 15 days annually.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
NOTE: US Citizens and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply. In order to be qualified for this position, you must be able to obtain and maintain a United States Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance. We are unable to sponsor Visas at this time. NexGen Data Systems provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.