When you join Eastern Bank, you join the largest and oldest mutual bank in the country. We pride ourselves in having knowledgeable and experienced professionals that can provide the expertise, personal attention and service our customers deserve.
As the fourth-largest full-service commercial bank in Greater Boston, we are able to offer you unique opportunities for career growth throughout the organization, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits program.
As an inclusive company, we work to ensure that our valued employees are treated fairly, recognized for their individuality, and encouraged to reach their fullest potential. These values have earned us a reputation as a great place to work and provide a strong reason why you should consider a career with us.
The Senior Data Engineer will join the enterprise Data Management team as a technical leader and designer and builder of the bank’s evolving Enterprise Data Platform (EDP). In this role, the incumbent will work in conjunction with the business to design and implement logical and physical data warehouse structures, extract transform and load (ETL) processes that support current reporting needs and business initiatives. As a data-innovator, the incumbent will help to guide the bank’s transition towards migration to the Azure cloud.
Major Responsibilities include:
• Work closely with constituents at all levels throughout the organization to identify and define innovative solutions to extend the bank’s Enterprise Data Platform.
• Design, develop, and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture and ETL/ELT load processes, consistent with Eastern Bank architecture standards, providing optimized and secure access to these data sources.
• Participate in design and build of scalable data processing and analytics solutions to expand our evolving data platform.
• Work with business lines and technology architects to continually evolve and expand the corporate data store to provide increasing value to the enterprise.
• Design and develop optimized data structures in support of BI, analytics and reporting. Recommend strategies to improve performance and capacity of BI tools.
• Suggest and build platform operations to increase efficiency and resiliency in overall operations. Develop and manage the necessary governance for providing end-user and end-system access to warehouse resources.
• Participate in proof of concept exploration to guide future direction for enterprise data platform.
• Develop, manage and publish the necessary enterprise architecture artifacts, including the evolving data warehouse data dictionary.
• Define both administrative and development standards for the platform and oversee compliance with those standards
• Maintain operational control over the reliable operation and acceptable performance of Eastern Bank’s internal data platform technologies.
• Assume responsibility for and resolve all operational and performance issues as they arise. Participate in on-call rotation for production support and off-hours technical support for the data platform.
• Chart and execute a physical data plan road map the continually evolve the bank’s data availability and utility using emerging techniques and technologies for both operational and analytics applications.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• 10+ years of experience with deep understanding of both traditional and modern data architecture and processing concepts, including relational databases
• 5+ years of experience with Data Warehouse analysis, design and development. Development of new and maintenance of existing SSIS packages and processes
• Significant experience with BI tools (e.g., PowerBI), reporting (SSRS) and analytics (SSAS), data visualization concepts
• Experience with creation of enterprise data lake using Azure
• Demonstrable experience in designing objects for MPP database platform
• Experience with cloud-based infrastructure and development in Azure preferred
• Significant proven experience with ETL design and implementation (SSIS / Talend) for large datasets
• Mastery of structured query language (SQL) (T-SQL, PL/SQL, Postgres, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience in design, coding, testing, and maintenance of technical solutions using SQL, T-SQL, views, stored procedures, indexes
• Demonstrated experience with build of Azure SQL DB/DW and Azure Data Factory pipelines
• Extremely strong analytical ability, proactive problem-solving skills, performance tuning, and debugging skills
• Experience in software development lifecycle including Agile methodology required
• A good communicator who can express their ideas, consider others’ and make informed decisions
• Self-directed and motivated with the drive to work independently on multiple concurrent projects while making effective progress
• Experience with Azure Synapse Analytics / SQL Data Warehouse a plus
• Experience with CI/CD, automated deployments a plus