The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.Job Summary
The Systems Engineering Division (SED) provides unmatched experience in systems engineering to the U.S. government and to numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology. From systems architecture development to system analysis and optimization, astrodynamics, orbital debris, navigation, failure analysis, mission assurance, cost and schedule assessment, and economic market analysis. SED exploits an incredibly broad array of engineering and business disciplines against a diverse and dynamic portfolio of programs and national challenges.
The Mission Assurance Subdivision (MAS) uses objective and repeatable methods to deliver risk and safety assessments, reliability optimization and resiliency planning, operational readiness, and product assurance. MAS supports acquisition and systems engineering of systems, systems-of-systems, facilities, and enterprises across the lifecycle for the USSF, NASA, NOAA, Intelligence Community (IC) and other Agencies.
The senior engineer - casual leads and contributes to independent review teams, analysis of alternatives, gated reviews, and operational readiness assessment. The senior engineer - casual may also organize and lead interdisciplinary teams to perform studies involving systems-of-systems and enterprise level integration and test.What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- Lead, mentor and enable Aerospace colleagues to work cooperatively with customer personnel, and contractor personnel to guide the systems engineering and integration functions that span the mission enterprise, to include system requirements and concept of operations development; risk and opportunity identification, assessments, disposition, mitigation, and management; integration and verification planning and execution
- Lead, mentor and enable Aerospace colleagues to work collaboratively with customer personnel, and contractor personnel on projects to assist customers in applying innovative systems engineering techniques across the lifecycle, including application of digital engineering, and modern software development, integration and test techniques and processes (i.e., agile Scaled Agile Framework (SaFE), DevSecOps, and etc.)
- Organize and lead interdisciplinary teams in performing studies to research system, systems-of-systems, and enterprise level integration and test best practices, lessons learned, and trends.
- Define and lead studies; identifying Aerospace and industry subject matter experts (SMEs);, performing literature research; sourcing or orchestrating data collection; performing analysis; developing reports; and presenting results.
- Interface with and create working relationships with industry leaders and SMEs.
- Provide technical leadership in systems engineering, integration, and verification to support development of innovative, fit-to-need program approaches with supporting analytical planning products to improve acquisition planning and execution outcomes
- Use frameworks and other techniques to support independent program assessments (i.e., independent review teams (IRTs), red teams, Analysis of Alternatives (AoAs), operational readiness assessment, and etc.) and provide objective analysis of space, ground, and launch system at gated reviews.
- Lead teams of individual contributors on project execution and integration of technical analysis into high quality, unified products to enable innovation, mission success, and agility
How You Can Stand Out
- BS degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, or related technical discipline.
- Customer facing experience in Systems Engineering and/or Acquisition with at least 12 years of applicable experience in space systems development planning is required
- Demonstrated experience in developing or assessing space system end-to-end mission systems engineering
- Demonstrated experience in team/leadership positions
- Demonstrated experience leading and supporting independent review teams as well as developing and presenting team results
- Demonstrated experience leading high-profile, quick turn-around tasks as an individual contributor or as a team lead
- Demonstrated experience in formulation of technical task planning, recruiting cross-functional teams, issue resolution, and orchestrating task balance across a team
- Strong relationship building skills to enable frequent communication with a range of customers on defining new tasks, developing task descriptions, resolving issues, and reporting work progress and results
- Familiarity with USSF and IC acquisition policies; space systems and advanced space technologies
- Demonstrated experience presenting and writing technical information
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and able to manage multiple simultaneous tasks, including occasional business travel
- This position requires a TS/SSBI/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Experience with Government or commercial space operations
- Relationships with commercial industry leaders/subject matter experts
- Advanced degree from an accredited program in a relevant field
- DAWIA Program Manager Level III and/or PMP certification
- Experience applying digital acquisition and/or digital engineering to a major acquisition
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation. Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .