Excited about robotics, and how it will be used in our every day lives? The Amazon Consumer Robotics group is pushing the boundaries of what's possible, making the future closer than ever.
Astro is Amazon's first household robot to use AI and Intelligent Motion to gracefully and intuitively interact with people and spaces. It is a different kind of robot, one that's designed to help customers with a range of tasks like home monitoring and keeping in touch with family. It brings together new advancements in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor technology, voice and edge computing in a package that's designed to be helpful and convenient.
Key job responsibilities
You will work on an ambiguous problem space and deliver innovative software solutions which add additional layers of intelligence to make Astro an even more helpful companion to the household. You will be the tech lead for the team, setting technical directions and best engineering practices for the team to follow, providing a system-wide view and design guidance. You will work closely with cross-functional partner teams, translate product requirements into engineering requirements, evaluate and make decisions about the use of new or existing software products and tools, design and implement robust, extensible and scalable solutions. You will have the great opportunity to collaborate closely with scientists and apply probabilistic prediction model to engineering work.
This opportunity requires excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. An ideal candidate will have a high teamwork mentality coupled with a strong bias for action while insisting on the highest standards.
About the team
We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in software and robotics to solve real-world challenges that will continue to transform our customers' experiences in ways we can't even imagine yet.
The team is a multidisciplinary group of engineers and scientists engaged in a fast paced mission to deliver new products and features. You will have opportunity to collaborate with scientists closely and have access to Principal Engineers on daily basis. You will also have the opportunity to mentor junior engineers in the team.
We combine the culture of a startup, the innovation and creativity of a R&D Lab, the work-life balance of a mature organization. We offer a playground of opportunities for builders to build and make history! You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products that will be used every day by people you know. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 7+ years of industry experience
- 7 years of programming experience in Java or C++
- 5+ years of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, run-time analysis, object oriented design and code quality verification
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with developing device (Android applications) or cloud software services with good understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.