GE seeks a Sr Technical Writer.
As a Senior Technical Writer, you will be responsible for working independently on information development projects. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce high-quality content and contribute to larger team on projects as needed.
In this role, you will develop and deliver high-quality content for the Predix Applications Engineering team using the following professional characteristics:
- Outstanding writing skills, namely a command of grammar, syntax, diction, and the conventions and best practices of writing a variety of technical documents
- Strong collaboration skills: ability to work with a variety of other writers and cross-functional peers easily
- Strong knowledge of core technical communication concepts, such as topic-based authoring, minimalism, task-oriented design, single-sourcing
- Understanding of core information development processes: content planning, content creation, content review
- Strong skills in the process of breaking down software processes into tasks necessary to the targeted user and effectively explaining those tasks to the user
- Strong ability to collaborate with subject matter experts to research a software product, determine functionality and design features, then communicate those effectively to the user
- Bachelor’s degree OR GED/High School Diploma with 4 years’ experience in a technical writing role
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in technical writing or Master’s degree with 3 years of experience with technical writing
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in New Orleans, LA.
- Basic skills in editing (QA for documentation) – ability to recognize errors and opportunities for improvement in a variety of information deliverables
- Strong skills with the authoring tools used by the PAE information development team: oXygen Author (DITA methodology), Astoria CMS
- Ability to understand and follow established information patterns to create a wide variety of information deliverables
- Fundamental understanding of Lean/Agile/XP software development processes, their application to GE projects, and how to follow processes for information development
- Basic awareness of the major aspects of software design, development, and QA and ability to leverage this understanding to inform execution for information development projects
- Ability to understand user profiles and to create content targeted appropriately to meet user goals
- Fundamental project management skills: ability to broadly estimate scope, ability to work to deadlines
- Basic domain and product knowledge, including appropriate terminology, with an awareness of GE Digital product line(s) and offerings
- Awareness of how GE Digital drives value to its customers and how the information development function fits into GE Digital’s overall business strategy
- Ability to take ownership of small- and medium-sized tasks and deliver while assisting team members
- Understanding of issues and ability to present clear rationale. Ability to speak to mutual needs and positive solutions.
- Ability to continuously measure deliverables of self and team against scheduled commitments. Effectively balance of different, competing objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective team building and problem solving abilities
- Ability to use the principles of analytical/critical thinking regularly while performing tasks and effectively making decisions about a project
At GE, we are creating technology and solutions to enable social, mobile, analytical and cloud capabilities for the Industrial Internet. The Industrial Internet is an open, global network that connects people, data and machines. It's about making infrastructure more intelligent and advancing the industries critical to the world we live in. At GE, we believe it's about the future of industry - energy, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing. It's about making the world work better.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.