About The Position
This is a pivotal role in ensuring IT's understanding of strategy, processes, services, and roadmaps etc. in the context for the technology solution requirements of different departments at Chickasaw Nation. The position will be responsible for working with across all levels of the organization to elicit, analyze, specify, and validate the business needs of stakeholders, be they customers or end users. This role will be key to understanding and documenting capabilities needed to deliver desired business outcomes.
The Senior IT Business Analyst develops and describes a sufficiently deep and comprehensive understanding of both, the business objectives/ outcomes and the detailed requirements of the stakeholder departments. This role is responsible for reviewing assigned business processes from end-to-end to identify and address operational, financial and technological risks, and other improvement opportunities.
The IT Sr. Business Analyst role serves as a liaison for the stakeholders, such that all involved IT teams understand the business context, immediate needs, as well as longer-term vision for the initiative in hand; thus enabling the determination of suitable solutions to meet the initiative's and stakeholder department's goals more efficiently and effectively.
This role acts as a change agent and evangelizer in IT's effort for establishing an enterprise thinking and in becoming a stronger value-add partner for stakeholder departments.
- Each resource is required to support the mission of the Chickasaw Nation upon becoming part of the Chickasaw Nation team. Our Mission is to enhance the overall quality of life of the Chickasaw people.
Identify & Manage Business Requirements
- Elicit business and user requirements for system modifications, enhancements and implementations via interviews, workshops, questionnaires, surveys, site visits, workflow storyboards, use cases, scenarios, user stories, process modeling, analysis of existing systems and documentation, and other methods.
- Work with project stakeholders to understand and document business process(es) and highlight gaps between current and desired system state.
- Develop and utilize standard templates to accurately and concisely write requirements specifications.
- Translate conceptual business and user requirements into functional requirements in a clear manner that is comprehensible to solution designers and developers and/or the project team.
- Facilitate and participate in quality peer and stakeholder reviews of requirement artifacts to ensure requirements are complete, consistent, comprehensible, feasible, and conform to standards.
- Maintain and reconcile forward and backward traceability of requirements.
- Identify user stories and translate them into technical requirements as required
- Develop user stories and break down requirements into deliverable functionality.
- Analyze business functions and Use-Case modeling to capture and document system requirements.
- Proactively work with stakeholder department teams to identify and suggest ways to improve business process efficiency.
- Create Agile requirement artifacts (User Stories, Acceptance Criteria, etc.) from the inputs gained from team interactions
- Clarify any ambiguity in business requirements and process flows to ensure sufficient understanding by the technical team.
Assist in Solution Determination to Satisfy Business Outcomes
- Assist other IT teams with the interpretation of requirements into feasible solution options and communicate options to the stakeholders.
- Formulate and define systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
- Prepare technical specifications in collaboration with the development team.
- Develop familiarity with technical solutions for each deliverable and facilitate discussions to validate that the solutions will enable desired business benefits
- Where applicable, assist other IT teams in developing prototypes of interfaces and attributes based on the user requirements or assist solution designers in doing the same.
- Create process models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to solution designers and developers and/or the project team.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to align the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and process needs.
- Identify, create and facilitate process design changes by conducting business and systems process analysis and design at a complex level; developing process improvements or re-engineering and recommending elimination; integrating new systems and processes with existing ones; and partnering with internal and external customers to ensure systems provided meet the long-term business strategies.
- Participate in the review of purchased solutions to ensure features and functions have been enabled and optimized.
- Perform demonstrations of new functionality to business and technology users
- Lead Agile User Story Prioritization, Ranking and Backlog Grooming sessions, if needed
- Provide clarity regarding business objectives and functional requirements during release and sprint iteration planning
- Provide inputs for User Guides and other training documentation
- Assist in user training sessions
- Participate in solution launch, training and project closeout activities
Support Validation of Defined Solutions
- Analyze implemented solutions to verify objectives were satisfied.
- Support Quality Assurance teams by providing business context for functionality, which will inform their test plans.
- Assist in developing test cases and acceptance criteria
- Validate test cases provide full coverage of requirements and participate in defect triage
- Ensure any issues that arise from testing or implementation are escalated and resolved appropriately
- Ensure adherence to audit and operational standards
Manage Stakeholder Relationships
- Develop and manage relationships at all levels in the stakeholder departments, and continue to gain further domain knowledge of their direction, objectives, operations, processes, systems/applications and users
- Understand and negotiate needs and expectations of multiple stakeholders
Support Project Management Methodologies
- Provide leadership to team members and peers by collaborating with others; articulating ideas and viewpoints to senior management, peers and others; driving the resolution of issues; and holding self and team accountable for results.
- Support project managers and project sponsors in definition of project scope, vision and identification of constraints, dependencies, assumptions, risks and issues
- Assist the project manager in identifying key project stakeholders; define user classes, as well as their characteristics
- Lead or participate in multiple projects; Join project team meetings regularly to review project deliverables and deadlines
- Participate in project estimating activities (as needed).
- Track and provide weekly status updates to the Project Manager and stakeholders on business requirements analysis part
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience perform Sr. IT Business Analyst responsibilities described above
- Ability to serve as the lead business analysis contact or participates in multiple projects and guide and advise less-experienced Business Analysts
- Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Capable of leading complex negotiations to resolve issues
- Capable of defining standards and processes and overseeing compliance with those standards and processes.
- Maintaining awareness of business analysis trends and emerging standards
- Ability to analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of business analysis processes and develops strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes.
- Experience in the Rational Toolset for requirements gathering
- Experience preparing, supporting and executing UAT test plans
- Ability to understand QA/Testing - Approaches, Applications
- Experience with project management methodologies and tools
- Strong understanding of, and experience with standard software development and IT governance methodologies (SDLC, waterfall, RUP, agile, etc.), and with standard analysis and documentation techniques (use cases, business rules, process diagrams, etc).
- Must have solid experience and knowledge of industry standards for business analysis methodologies; including but not limited to wireframing, conceptual design, developing functional and non-functional requirements, creating user stories, creating traceability matrices, developing business workflows, translating business requests for IT and vice versa; and system testing including system testing documentation.
- Experience in use case analysis and modeling, and other industry best practices
- Experience with project proposal scoping, estimation, and cost/benefit analysis
- Overall 15 + years BA experience in gathering, reviewing and analyzing department-level and end-user-level requirements
- 10 + years of experience in business process and system re-engineering
- 10 + years of experience in writing Business Requirement and Functional/Technical Specification Documents
- 7 + years of experience in working with other technical teams in creating conceptual prototypes and mock-ups
- Experience with ERP, Gaming, and other commercial solutions is highly desired
Business Results-Orientation & Effectiveness
- Focus on business outcomes, and associated current business challenges that defined solutions must address
- Ability to analyze multiple alternatives and select the most relevant solution option to solve tactical and strategic business needs.
- Ability to articulate solution in terms of business needs, relevant to a stakeholder or user group.
- Ability to articulate solutions in terms of technical components and integrations for IT team and 3rd party vendors as needed.
- Championing the focus on ultimately resolving the business problems and/or enabling business growth as result of the enterprise solution
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Anticipates risks and obstacles and develops plans for mitigation
Specific Soft Skills & Experience
- Relationship/Expectation Management
- Consultative, Influencing, Negotiation and Conflict resolution
- Problem-solving, critical thinking and decision-making
- Leadership and collaboration for driving gaps and improvements discussions to success working across multiple cross-functional teams and business units
- Interfacing with all levels of the enterprise, including executive management
- Demonstrated customer focus
- Communicates clearly and effectively evaluates information to make decisions
- Can communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way for broad audiences, empowering them with memorable and useful information.
- Must have previous and strong experience in presentation and writing
- Balances multiple and competing priorities and executes accordingly
- Confronts difficult problems in a positive and creative way
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Business, or equivalent education in a related discipline is required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Must be able to pass background check and receive a gaming license from the Chickasaw Nation Office of the Gaming Commission to work in the gaming operations.
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must be able to complete pre-employment drug test with negative results.