Sr. Database Administrator
Our employees tell us they love working for a global organization focused on collaboration, teamwork, and customer outcomes. Since 1979, QAD has provided solutions and services for customers in the automotive, consumer products, food and beverage, high technology, industrial and life sciences industries so they can better align daily operations with their strategic goals. We offer an amazing culture and comprehensive suite of health and wellness benefits so that employees can focus on helping customers reach our vision for them: the Effective Enterprise.
The Sr. Database Administrator will work Under minimal supervision/guidance, design, maintain and document complex QAD database environments and system performance analysis using QAD technical tools and reporting technologies. This includes maintaining Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for systems uptime and ongoing monitoring and maintenance of all Cloud Customer environments in a 24/7 on-call team. Maximize performance through ongoing and ad hoc database and system analysis. Requires direct and indirect customer interaction and response to tickets entered into the Cloud Ops customer support ticketing systems. Recommend best practices around database administration of QAD application systems. Disseminate knowledge and experiences with rest of team. All of these responsibilities require constant attention and will often fall outside of the normal workday.
Shift: 12:30PM-9:30PM EDT
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the databases
- Monitor database and system performance and recommend system-wide changes to enhance overall system performance and operation.
- Write documentation (User Manuals, Work Instructions, Standard Operating Procedures, etc.) to support consistent excellent service to the customer.
- Monitor and report on database health and performance daily.
- Generate various reports by querying from database as per need
- Contact database vendor for technical support
- Ensure compliance with database vendor license agreement
- Perform accurate and detailed Root Cause Analysis for any impairment to the customer environments to allow for appropriate permanent remediation of issues to improve environment stability.
- Work closely to support the SDC for triaging complex issue where SDC have exhausted current work
- Create and validate test plans for system changes prior to deployment.
- Coordinate with customer, peers or engagement manager as needed and provide updates as required.
- Upgrade the database software as required
- Plan future storage requirements for the database system and modify the database structure, as necessary, from information from analysis of the server trends.
- Create appropriate Change Control documentation (RFC) to support any planned maintenance to the environments. This includes estimating accurate timing for activities and all administrative tasks to complete the RFCs instructions, knowledgebase and experience.
- Contribute to the design and creation of automation for appropriate operational database tasks to streamline processes and perform standard administration functions as needed to maintain clean database environments.
Planning for backup and recovery of database information.
- Create, deploy, test and maintain backup and recovery plans.
- Perform Backup and Recovery of controlled databases.
- Recommend enhancements to currently configured environments.
- Manage and monitor data replication for customer environments.
Performance Development Planning
- Stay abreast of new developments in Progress, SQL or any tool and technology in the Cloud architecture to ensure Cloud Operations processes continue to adhere to best practices.
- Share knowledge, coach and be a SME resource to other teams
On Call Support
- Participate in rotational 24/7 support of existing customer environments and Go Live opportunities.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science.
- Minimum 5-7 years supporting QAD products & related technologies and/or supporting information systems infrastructure environments and/or performance tuning of Progress databases.
- Must be able to handle periods of high stress. Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively handle any caller. Knowledgeable in software development processes & lifecycle management. Demonstrated experience in effectively presenting technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Required Travel: 20%
- Knowledge of database theory
- Knowledge of the database design of the QAD ERP and/or Divisional Products
- Knowledge about the RDBMS itself, e.g. Progress OpenEdge, Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL
- Knowledge of structured query language (SQL), e.g. SQL/PSM or Transact-SQL
- Knowledge understanding of operating system, e.g. Windows or Linux
- Knowledge and understanding of routine maintenance, recovery, and handling failover of a database
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client/server model
- General understanding of storage technologies and networking
Other knowledge or skills:
- Must be able to handle periods of high stress.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively handle any caller.
- Knowledgeable in software development processes & lifecycle management.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively presenting technical information to non-technical audiences.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.