This role is currently remote and we are open to someone who will continue to work remotely if they live outside the tri-state area once an onsite 2 day/week schedule starts.
Reporting to the Director, Infrastructure Engineering, the Sr. Application Systems Developer will have broad responsibilities for the development and deployment of the University’s application and infrastructure services, with a focus on web application deployment, security, and configuration management.
The Infrastructure Engineering team at Columbia University is responsible for the design and engineering of infrastructure systems and services, including virtualization, datacenter networking, load balancers, configuration management and monitoring systems, to support mission critical technology for over 40,000 faculty, staff and students at Columbia University.
- Manages and supports application delivery controllers (ADCs), firewalls (WAFs), and related monitoring/management systems.
- Uses DevOps practices and configuration management systems (Puppet, Terraform, Ansible) to uniformly and consistently deploy and update application support infrastructure to on-prem and cloud environments (AWS, Azure).
- Participate in design and development of new infrastructure systems: requirements gathering, proposals, system design and documentation, deployment efforts.
- Participate in change management processes and the development of infrastructure best practices and SOEs.
- Serve as technical expert/SME in interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 4-6 years’ related experience.
- Prior experience building and managing web infrastructure in an enterprise environment
- Strong understanding of web security principles and practices: SSL certificate management, protocols, firewalls, etc.
- Linux experience (Redhat preferred).
- Scripting/software development experience in Perl, Python or another language.
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work weekends and off-hours on occasion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- Experience working with application delivery controllers (ADC's, e.g. F5) strongly preferred.
- Experience working with web application firewalls (WAF's, e.g. F5 ASM, Cloudflare).
- Configuration management/automation experience: Ansible, Terraform or Puppet.
- Version control system experience (e.g. Git, SVN).
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.