Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Manager of Enterprise Data Systems, selected candidate will work directly with IS management and staff to create, manage, and maintain all Microsoft SQL Server database systems throughout the Firm, and to support the corresponding applications as needed. Individual will work to maximize application availability by minimizing database and server downtime. They will assist with and advise in the ongoing development, testing, integration, maintenance, and support of all Firm systems that rely on SQL Server.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions:
- Monitor and maintain all SQL instances and databases in order to maximize system availability. Quickly diagnose and resolve any issues as they arise. Provide support as required by application owners.
- Ensure the availability and consistency of backups for all systems according to established SLAs. Configure high availability and disaster recovery systems as required by business needs.
- Manage and maintain the Firm's Document Management System, including the underlying databases, the middle-tier servers, and the full-text search indexes. Quickly diagnose and resolve any issues as they arise. Implement periodic upgrades and enhancements.
- Design, implement, and maintain data integrations between Firm systems. Maintain and enforce data consistency across those systems.
- Design, implement, and maintain solutions to assist in the analysis and delivery of data stored in Firm systems through the use of SQL Server business intelligence tools.
- Provide advice and guidance to other IS staff and managers, and outside vendors and consultants regarding the architecture and configuration of new and existing SQL systems and their corresponding applications. Perform installations, upgrades, and customizations for those systems.
- Establish, maintain, and follow group procedures and policies related to the SQL Server environment, including installations, configurations, backups, disaster recovery, and other such operations.
- Provide support outside of business hours as needed, including but not limited to rotating on-call coverage and scheduled after-hours project work.
- Manage projects independently, adhering to and helping to establish timelines and budget limits.
- Act as a team leader and coach and advise more junior staff members.
- Any other responsibilities or special projects as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5+ years of experience administering Microsoft SQL Server in an enterprise environment.
- Extensive experience writing advanced SQL queries and stored procedures and troubleshooting their performance.
- Thorough understanding of relational database design principles such as key selection, relationships, normalization, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of SQL Server business intelligence tools (SSAS, SSRS, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with SQL Server high availability / replication technologies, including but not limited to log shipping, mirroring, clustering, AlwaysOn Availability Groups, and SQL Server replication.
- Familiarity with Windows server operating systems, and an understanding of server hardware as it relates to SQL Server, especially in the areas of CPU, RAM, and I/O subsystems, as well as an understanding of basic networking concepts.
- Experience providing technical support for a large, geographically dispersed organization.
- Familiarity with IIS web/application servers is a plus.
- Experience with .NET/web development is a plus.
- Highly analytical and excellent problem solver.
- Fast learner who adapts quickly.
- Able to work well under minimal supervision.
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-motivated with good time management and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with people of varying technical expertise.
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related discipline.
- Microsoft SQL Server or other RDBMS certifications is a plus.