Job Description: Java Microservice Developer
We do cool stuff. We are passionate about building high quality systems that solve complex problems on a massive scale. We develop in an Agile/SAFe environment. Our team is inclusive, made up of bright software engineers who enjoy working together to develop innovative software solutions in an environment where individual differences and unique perspectives are embraced. Our business is fast paced and ever changing to get new features and capabilities to market, while conforming to global regulations. Applications are developed on back office micro-services, mobile, web, in-vehicle customer platforms, and WebLogic. We leverage GM’s private Pivotal Cloud Foundry, J2EE and Big Data backend services, allowing opportunities to work in numerous technologies on applications achieving continuous availability. We are leveraging technology enabling a new generation of connected vehicles worldwide. We have call centers located in multiple countries around the world, backed by two world class data centers. Our technology is a key enabler to things like smarter car sharing programs, driver customization opportunities, advanced active safety systems, super cruise and autonomous driving. These capabilities exist through the largest implementation of 4G LTE in the automotive industry which enables the capture of massive amount of vehicle data to our Big Data platform. Our connected vehicles send thousands of data elements requiring an architecture that can support over 1 million vehicle transactions per hour with sub-second response times. Our innovation teams are driving game changing features to the consumer and the automotive industry. We don’t expect candidates to understand all of these technologies. Individual teams focus on a smaller set of technologies. Our organization uses a lot of technologies, affording employees the
opportunities to learn new skills and technologies.
The Java Developer role will involve close interaction with the Systems Architect, Development Team Leaders, business team members and other members of the development team and will demand a high level of design and coding to implement and deliver enhancements. There will be ample opportunities to quickly expand on your technical experience, with plenty of business exposure. This role requires a foundation in J2EE with SQL experience. Java Developers provide leadership and technical expertise to enable multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs
The ideal candidate for this role will possess a passion for technology and a desire to have exposure to and learn more about the Global Connected Consumer. Applicants must have strong core Java skills gained in a business environment along with the following:
Skills and Experience:
• 4-year College degree preferably in computer science, Computer or Electrical engineering, information systems, mathematics, data analytics or statistics or equivalent experience
• Over 5 years of software development experience in Java services Creating self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components in frontend and backend work,
• 3+ years’ experience with OO analysis and design experience Proficiency with Microservices, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Spark, Kubernetes, Akka, Pulsar, RabbitMQ, Cassandra, Redis, Bitbucket and Maven
• At least 5+ years relevant experience in the business environment , Experience with Agile teams that have regularly delivered software while practicing code review
• Experience developing 12-factor microservices while utilizing Continuous Integration, Build, and Delivery w/Spring, Spring Boot
• Experience in designing and implementing container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes and Helm
• Experience utilizing platform and infrastructure-as-a-service technologies and capabilities and their corresponding services (object store, configuration management, service registries, etc.). Pivotal Cloud Foundry experience strongly preferred.
• Experience with Big Data technologies and developing in Hadoop ecosystem, i.e. Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Scala, SPARK, Sqoop, Flume, Kafka, Python
• Experience with the ELK stack and dashboarding within Kibana
• Experience supporting applications in Production
• Applied experience with iterative and incremental development on product-focused teams practicing code reviews
• Competency writing basic SQL queries. Oracle and/or Postgres experience a plus. NoSQL experience with Cassandra a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions
• Strong teamwork focus and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
• Creative problem-solving skills that deliver elegant solutions to complex issues
• 3+ years’ experience with monitoring tools and event processing from incident alerts