Reporting to the Director, Business Intelligence Applications; the Sr. Developer will develop Business Intelligence and Analytical solutions for users primarily using Microsoft Power BI report tool set. The role will identify business intelligence and data analysis needs and works closely with clients and IT teams to turn data into critical information that can be used to make sound business decisions. The Power BI Developer will review and provide input on solution architecture and guide decisions, collaborate on implementation and provide training and guidance to technical and functional teams.
- Designs and develops Microsoft Power BI reports and Dashboards including data set ingestion and transformation, Modeling, Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) using the appropriate report templates.
- Develops data models, technical and functional documentation with business partners.
- Demonstrates and promotes reporting best practices and use of data visualizations to empower data driven decision making.
- Ensures visual quality of all deliverables including user experience design, consistency and standardization and aesthetically pleasing visualizations consistent with the Columbia University brand.
- Ensures data quality of all deliverables, conduct thorough unit testing and facilitate user acceptance testing cycles.
- Provides governance around the Power BI platform architecture and operations.
- Designs and develops Power BI reports, dashboards, apps, DAX scripts.
- Leads the requirements gathering process with customers, determine requirements for data, reports, analyses, metadata, training, service levels, data quality, and performance for assigned projects
- Collaborates with EBIS data integration team members to ensure data is staged appropriately to meet end user requirements.
- Collaborates with EBIS leadership on the Power BI Strategy and roadmap at Columbia University.
- Manages concurrent projects and independently prioritizes multiple requests to meet the organizational goals.
- Provides technical guidance and mentor Power BI Developers and end users in Power BI, predictive analytics and best practices.
- Responsible for Enterprise Power BI platform Security design and system administration.
- Enhances, debugs and performance tunes reports/code as necessary.
- Provides ongoing production support of applications.
- Develops user presentations, training documents and provide training for technical staff and power users.
- Monitors and tracks project status in various tracking tools such as ServiceNow and Jira.
- Ensures projects remain on budget and meet agreed upon project timelines.
- Anticipates risks and possible road blocks, escalate to upper management as needed
- Monitors a wide range of technical problems and make decisions and provide recommendations to the team.
- Maintains up to date on Power BI desktop, Power BI Service and related technology enhancements.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 4-6 years’ related experience.
- 2+ years of hands on Power BI architecture, report development, PBI Security Model, administration, DAX and best practices experience.
- 2+ year of architecture, administration and hands on Power BI report tool set experience - developing complex dashboards, integrating and enriching data, and implementing DAX.
- 2+ years using Database - SQL Server, Oracle and SQL experience.
- 3+ years of Business Intelligence, Analytics and Data warehouse/data mart, data modeling using Kimball methodology experience in team environment.
- Experience connecting to a variety of on-premise and cloud data sources.
- Experience with customer requirements gathering and creation of user stories for SCRUM Agile SDLC.
- Excellent business analysis, data analysis, documentation and requirements gathering skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work effectively in a collaborative team.
- Experience in Agile methodology and Proof of Concept, iterative design and development approach.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to identify and communicate issues/risks applying technical and root cause analysis skills.
- Strong decision making, technical, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- Power BI certification.
- Power BI integration experience with Shibboleth and CAS and Active directory is a plus.
- Hands on experience creating and publishing custom Power BI visualizations.
- Knowledge and experience using Statistical tools (i.e. SAS, SPSS).
- 3+ years of experience in other reporting tools is a plus (Tableau, Business Objects Crystal, Web Intelligence, Universe Designer).
- Experience creating data models using Microsoft SSAS and data integration using Microsoft SSIS.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft data, especially Campus Solutions, Finance, and HR.
- Experience with designing for mobile platforms.
- Knowledge of relational data modeling.
- Knowledge of R for creating or modifying custom visuals.
- Azure machine learning studio and integrating predictive analytics applications with Power BI.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.