Position Summary: The Senior DBA is responsible for providing technical support for the database environments, including overseeing the development and organization of the databases, assessment and implementation of new technologies, and providing the Technology Division with a long-term perspective on the relationship between database technology and the business opportunities/projects facing the AAMVA community. The DBA maintains Microsoft SQL databases, including all environments (Dev, Test, QA/Cert, Prod), database backups, support of databases across internal and end-user applications. The DBA provides and designs tools to assist in the management of the database and transaction processing environment. The DBA position works in a team-oriented environment supporting 24X7 application operations. The DBA is expected to participate in scheduled and emergency operations and tasks outside of normal operating hours. In addition, the position provides input to the Infrastructure Director on all pertinent matters related to AAMVA databases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership during the development and enhancement of production applications including working with applications, technical support and operations during the design, development and implementation of applications
- Maintains on-line processing database systems at the highest reliability and performance possible
- Improves database integrity through quality assurance and implementation of change control processes related to the SQL environments
- Analyzes existing database applications for performance tuning, alerting & monitoring
- Provides and designs tools to assist in the management of the database and transaction processing environment
- Works with the transaction processing area (OLTP) to develop both the physical and the logical database administration functions and assists in the development of our processing database and computing environments
- Works with the analytic processing area (OLAP) to develop both the physical and the logical database administration functions and assists in the development of our processing database and computing environments
- Develops a methodology for the ongoing assessment of database performance and the identification of problem areas
- Works with project teams to build the logical database area and provide technical guidance during all phases of the development process
- Develops a security scheme for the database environment, as well as assisting in disaster recovery if necessary
- Develops and maintains a working model of all transaction processing environment for capacity assessment and planning
- Works with Data Architect to maintain a working model of all analytic processing environment for capacity assessment and planning
- Automates installs of database schemas and other artifacts using modern tools such as use of DacFX and Octopus.
- Trains and develops technical support and applications staff to better utilize on-line processing databases environment
- Works with application developers to integrate efforts with relational databases
- Works with Vendors in evaluating and implementing new technologies
- Maintains state-of-the-art knowledge of existing best practices in database administration, design, and implementation, capacity planning
- Liaison with other departments, attend meetings involving other departments and working groups and summarize meetings/requirements related to database administration.
- Provide input to the Director and other management staff in development of operating policies and procedures related to database administration
Direct Reports to this Position:
- 5-7 years IT operations with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- 5-7 years Microsoft SQL Server experience
- Strong knowledge of MS SQL and how to tune it in a highly specialized fast paced, 7X24 operation environment.
- Windows scripting experience ideally with PowerShell
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to work under general supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels, whether internal or external (jurisdictions and business partners), to meet established goals
- Ability to organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to prepare progress reports to inform management of project status and deviations from pre-directed goals
- Ability to attend to detail while maintaining a big picture orientation
- Ability to interpret, analyze and apply technical information to provide comprehensive solutions to complex problems
- Ability to interact with all levels of the customers’ organization to provide outstanding customer service.
Formal Education: BE or BS Degree in: Computer Science, Business Administration, Information Technology or related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills
- Experience supporting/administering MS SQL 2000, 2005 and 2008 in an enterprise environment
- Ability to develop and troubleshoot change scripts as needed
- Ability to maintain the health of the production (and/or lower region) environments
- Experience with backup processes and procedures
- Ability to document standard operational procedures
- Ability to assimilate organizational objectives into operational action plans
- Knowledge and experience with capacity planning as it pertains to databases
- Proficiency with MS SQL Server tools
- Knowledge of virtualizing SQL installations and the issues that accompany that.