ASD is seeking a Sr. Systems Engineer to support a DoC contract with GDIT. ASD is a sub to GDIT on several programs.
The United States Department of Commerce’s (DOC) National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the President's principal adviser on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA manages the Federal use of the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum; and performs cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering, including resolving technical telecommunications issues for the Federal Government and private sector.
NTIA’s Office of Spectrum Management (OSM) manages the EM spectrum for the Federal government in the U.S. and its territories. OSM uses multiple national security systems and unclassified systems to assign frequencies; maintain spectrum use databases; review Federal agencies' new telecommunications systems and certify the availability of spectrum; and provide the technical engineering capabilities needed to perform spectrum resources assessments.
NTIA is in the process of replacing, enhancing and adding to its spectrum systems portfolio to incrementally develop and transform spectrum management processes through improved technologies and architectures, enhanced automation and interoperability across the federal government.
The qualified candidate will support and enhance existing infrastructure for the EL-CID Online web application and will provide solutions and implement re-architecture requirements and disaster recovery. Job location is Herbert C. Hoover Building, 1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W, Washington, DC. 20230.
- Work closely with NTIA’s Information Technology Department (ITD) and perform monthly and emergency patching, replacing end-of-life core application products, remediating vulnerabilities identified by scans (excluding the operating system), upgrading application components, enhancing system performance and reliability, reducing O&M costs and providing increased functionality and efficiency. Hardware, Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), domain controllers, Active Directory, exchange servers, File/Print servers and other specialized servers providing specific services to the enterprise will be handled by ITD, but the interaction with these components by EL-CID Online is the responsibility of the candidate.
- Maintain current environments that exist in the development, DMZ, and the internal networks, for both a low side and a high side. This entails constant monitoring for availability, deploying sprints, perform problem isolation and resolution, tuning for performance, etc.
- Responsible for the smooth daily operation of the EL-CID Online application in every environment, noting and resolving any problems encountered. Ensures any incidents are documented and reported to the project manager and client.
- Work closely with Government Operations staff and perform monthly and emergency patching, replacing end-of-life core application products, remediating vulnerabilities identified by scans (excluding the operating system), upgrading application components, enhancing system performance and reliability, reducing O&M costs and providing increased functionality and efficiency. Hardware, Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), domain controllers, Active Directory, exchange servers, File/Print servers and other specialized servers providing specific services to the enterprise will be handled by Government staff, but the interaction with these components by EL-CID Online is the responsibility of the candidate.
- Responsible for administering user accounts and passwords.
- Perform backups and log monitoring.
- Provide daily status report for all environments.
- Responsible for developing and executing contingency plans for application software and hardware failures including isolated and major outages. Work with Government’s Network Operations group to document and perform tabletop disaster recovery exercises and actual disaster recovery, backup and restore tests.
- Perform upgrades and patching for Oracle, Apache, Tomcat, Google Web Toolkit (GWT), Bizflow, and other components of the EL-CID Online application, working closely with the development team.
- Set up reverse proxies and other traffic routes as dictated by the EL-CID Online system owner.
- Update system security plans for high and low sides as needed and assist with Authority-to-Operate (ATO) activities.
- Work independently as the only system administrator for EL-CID Online application.
- Work with Government operations staff to generate reports from Solarwinds or other tools to create system statistics and availability reports; as well as statistics relevant to system capacity limits on data storage, system utilization, etc. with enough lead-time to avoid system crashes and data loss.
- Maintain a compliant cyber and application security posture. Ensure compliance with industry best practices as well as Federal and Department of Commerce.
- Work closely with client and other teams to ensure open and regular communication, both written and oral. Develop, implement and maintain schedule for routine maintenance (e.g., patching).
- Develop and maintain prescribed procedures to be followed routinely in the form of standard operating procedures.
- Develop, maintain and implement a proactive capacity planning model to support business decisions.
- Administer JIRA, SubVersion, and Team Foundations Server (TFS).
- Apache HTTPD, Tomcat.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and 2016
- Administering Oracle database, and ability to apply patches.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, Active Directory Federated Services, Multi-factor Authentication, and Microsoft window services.
- Ability to stand up Apache HTTPD for reverse proxy (on low and high sides).
- Working knowledge of certificates including how to set up for communication between servers.
- Ability to address vulnerabilities.
- Knowledge of PowerShell.
- Monitoring tools such as SolarWinds.
- Knowledge of JAVA a plus.
- Knowledge of Azure cloud services a plus.
- Knowledge of Bizflow a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. 6-10 yrs. experience.
- Secret clearance required to start.
Some Telecommuting Allowed