VMD is seeking a Sr. UI/UX Designer to support our work at the National Science Foundation. This person will telecommute 2 days / week and be located in Alexandria VA 3 days / week.
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent federal agency created "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health prosperity and welfare; and to secure the national defense..." The NSF funds approximately 24 percent of all federally supported basic research conducted by America's colleges and universities.
The Sr. UI/UX Designer will mainly be responsible for updating web content on internal and public facing government websites such as www.nsf.gov
and working directly with the customer to support content change needs. This individual will be expected to follow all processes consistently and maintain a high standard for all web work provided to the customer.
This person will also be responsible for the following:
- Develops usability approaches to determine solutions to user issues. UX techniques include: concept models personas sitemaps user flows card sorting short-form user testing wireframes and/or prototypes that translate the stakeholder requirements into design decisions and strategies.
- Uses advanced web design software to create high-quality functional website designs for NSF internal and external audiences optimizing user experience. Products demonstrate excellent visual design principles and typography and adhere to a predefined style guide.
- Designs and creates web graphics animations/multimedia icons stylesheets and color schemes for use in website and web application projects.
- Coordinates work with web developers to implement user interface templates with back-end components and code to ensure all web sites and applications pages and elements comply with NSF authoring accessibility and security guidelines.
- Participates as needed in the quality assurance testing of web pages websites and applications.
- Stays current on web trends including mobile best practices and incorporates modern solutions.
This position requires a technical degree in a related field with studies related to Human-Computer Interaction User Experience Graphic Design Digital Design and at least four (4) years experience working as a User Experience (UX) Designer. Additional years of experience can substitute for degree.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Experience in UX techniques including: concept models personas sitemaps user flows card sorting short-form user testing wireframes and/or prototypes.
- Experience using InVision UXPin Balsamiq Framer.js Quartz Composer or similar.
- Ability to create designs and light HTML/CSS using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with Bootstrap/HTML5
- Advanced JS knowledge (jQuery Angular React Vue)
- Advanced CSS 3
- Ability to obtain Public Trust
VMD provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, state and local laws. VMD maintains a drug-free workplace.