Volt has an exciting opportunity for a Composite Manufacturing Engineer in our client in Aircraft Systems. As an experienced Composite Manufacturing Engineer your role will be to lead and support - through rigorous quantitative analysis - multiple projects within company’s product/platform line suite (Improved Grey Eagle, Certified Pred B, special projects, etc), and within our range of manufacturing operations (material cutting/kitting, lamination, cure, demold, trim/drill/machining, and assembly). This includes leading/supporting top-tier teams of Manufacturing Engineers and technicians and developing manufacturing technology while ensuring aerospace standards and quality requirements are met. This position requires depth and breadth of aerospace composite manufacturing, processing and materials knowledge. Project engineering and management experience required. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have experience with CNC machining or composite lamination operations
- Composite Lamination specific;
- Familiar with laser projector systems
- Hands-on experience with Fibersim
- Design, build, and maintain lamination mold tooling
- Knowledge of ATL and/or AFP
- CNC Machining specific;
- Improve CNC machining process to achieve Cpk goal and OEE goal
- Familiar with SMED (single minute exchange of die)
- Experience with MasterCam and Vericut
- Develop, review, and maintain mill fixtures
- Devise new approaches to resolve unusual or highly complex manufacturing problems through early, upfront design-for-manufacturing (DFM) principles to ensure producibility, inspectability, testability, maintainability and repairability.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design development vs. production requirements, promotes new methods / process equipment, and evaluates special material requirements.
- Define and implement new manufacturing technologies.
- Provides input to design, technical staff, briefs management, and participates effectively in a team of experienced professional staff.
- Must have an extensive working knowledge of advanced composites production operations
- Develop composite manufacturing processes, procedures and tooling using technical experience and collaborative interaction with the team to improve quality, eliminate non-value-added steps and shorten lead times.
- Initiate and implement Lean and Six Sigma Projects to improve quality, lower costs, and remove tribal knowledge.
- Establish process/specification control limits while seeking out opportunities for Poka Yoke.
- Oversee prototype and pilot builds, document the build process with standardized work instructions, develop shop aids and routers
- Lead PFMEAs
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, ten or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or seven or more years with a PhD.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium, and invited and/or participated on an engineering review panel are desirable.
Volt is an equal opportunity employer