SUMMARY: EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION:
The Database Administration Supervisor will be part of a team of architects, DBA's and developers responsible for maintaining and supporting databases for mission-critical applications. This position will be responsible for managing the administration of multiple complex 24-7 production systems in addition to multi-server development and testing environments. The Database Administration Supervisor will also have other responsibilities for creating and documenting processes, standards and procedures, as well as implementing 3rd party tools to ensure the database system's effectiveness, reliability, availability, security and recoverability. RESPONSIBILITIES/TASKS:
- Hands on experience in Database Administration for SQL Server and Oracle Database Management Systems.
- Oversees the development work (design, construction, quality assurance, unit, systems integrated testing and deployment) associated with environment management and database administration.
- Ensure the consistency and maintainability of existing databases by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions.
- Responsible for DBA/Engineer task and time management, project planning, understanding of application lifecycles, production support requirements, and data security policies.
- Oversee Database Administration and Database Engineering Technical Leadership to ensure appropriate execution and implementation based on various skills.
- On-call overnight and weekend production support may be necessary for upgrades, implementations and issue resolution.
- Develops a maintenance and upgrade strategy for all database related technology.
- Provides executive level and stakeholder summaries on key issues, risks, and overall status of Project. Manages relationships with project stakeholders, team members and external providers.
- Responsible for providing estimates, capacity feedback, project impacts.
- Oversee operations in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Partners with Project Managers to ensure the appropriate resources are assigned to projects and that development meets scheduled milestones to ensure project/program objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Partners with the Business Liaisons and Business Units to ensure the desired outcomes and quality expectations identified are being delivered by the Development Center of Excellence.
- Evaluates new technologies in collaboration with IT Architecture.
- Oversees development of implementation strategies for IT Architecture roadmaps.
- Ensures completed assignments meet deadlines and departmental and corporate standards.
- Establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with co-workers and every level of management.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of enterprise business.
- Ensures staff and supervisor skill development, corporate culture, planning, budget tracking, resource planning and performance management of team.
- Identifies and develops team or individual development plans to build capabilities during the planning.
- Provides staff leadership, management and development.
- Maintain direct communications with senior and middle management.
- Responsible for developing annual team budget, monitor budget and identify budget discrepancies, research cause and make recommendations and corrections.
- Responsibility for balancing workload to optimize the effectiveness of the department.
Directly supervises exempt and non-exempt staff and supervisors, in accordance with company policies and applicable Federal and State Laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to effectively interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and counseling employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; supporting and encouraging the engagement process. This position description identifies the responsibilities and tasks typically associated with the performance of the position. Other relevant essential functions may be required.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Combinations of relevant education, certifications, and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Continuous learning, as defined by the Company's learning philosophy, is required. Certification or progress toward certification is highly preferred and encouraged. EXPERIENCE:
Seven years of progressive responsibility in an IT environment with demonstrated technical knowledge which provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities. Five years of experience as a DBA required. Three years of SQL Server Database Administration experience required. Three years management, supervisory or lead experience in IT required. Experience within the insurance industry highly preferred. SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
- Ability to understand business needs and conceptualize and implement information systems that support those business strategies.
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to provide capacity and resource planning for the team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide creative and innovative IT solutions to the business.
- Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and address them, or refer them for appropriate decision making.
- Ability to set clear expectations with supervisors, technical leads, and teams and ensure accountability.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management Methodology, System & Product Development Life Cycle.
- Demonstrated abilities in the management of contracts and contract resources.
- Demonstrated abilities in the management of remote and off-site resources.
- Demonstrated abilities in the management of supervisors and technical leadership.
- Able to work in an environment at a fast pace & with changing priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- Must demonstrate leadership ability and team building skills to effectively supervise professional and non-professional staff and interact with all levels of management.
- Ability to work with and empower others on a collaborative basis to ensure success of unit team.
- Ability to effectively exchange information, in verbal or written form, by sharing ideas, reporting facts and other information, responding to questions and employing active listening techniques.
- Ability to effectively present budgetary and/or cost information, and respond to questions as appropriate.
- Ability to establish workflows, manages multiple projects, and meets necessary deadlines.
Work is performed in an office setting with no unusual hazards. Travel is required. The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an "at will" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.