We are actively seeking a Supervisor, Information Integration to join IDA's technical Library staff. This position will help provide IDA researchers and staff with a useful and exciting environment for access to traditional and digital resources. This position will wear multiple hats to include: supervisor, project leader, and information analyst to help identify places where we can share information and allow information to flow smoothly. The incumbent directs and controls activities related to the planning, development, and coordination of major information provision projects requiring complex features and procedures that often involve different search systems or a multi-divisional application. The position will analyzes, design, develop, test, implement and document new tools and systems; modifies and enhances existing programs and systems; and provides operational support. May be required to serve as Database Administrator for one or more Database Management Systems. #ITatIDA Responsibilities
- Works with Administrative Directorates, Research Divisions and other staff to define requirements for new information provision systems and tools or major enhancements to existing systems and tools. Performs test/simulation studies to determine the effects of proposed changes in enterprise search systems or other tools. Assesses feasibility and soundness considering project design and organizational objectives. Performs industry and market surveys and analyses as required to determine if a suitable commercial solution is possible or a custom solution is necessary. Assists in defining objectives, goals, viability and time schedules.
- Plans and carries out the effective and innovative provision of information content via a variety of methods, formats and delivery systems.
- Assists in the selection, acquisition and implementation of commercial systems and tools. Provides technical advice to the Library Manager and SDI Manager. Designs custom interfaces or implements vendor-supplied solutions to provide control and connectivity with other IDA systems or those licensed from publishers or vendors.
- Leads major development efforts. Coordinates, assigns and reviews the work of team members; estimates personnel needs and schedules; reviews progress of work and resolves complaints and/or disagreements among programmers, users, publishers or other vendors. Systems have complex linkages between IDA information provision systems or online resources involving multiple computer systems or having a multi-divisional impact requiring the resolution of competing interests. Ensures custom software or vendor-supplied solutions or programming is well-structured, well-documented and responds to established requirements.
- Develops standards, procedures and programming techniques that facilitate development and maintenance of information and content delivery systems.
- Serves as an internal consultant to provide advice and guidance to project leaders and to other project teams.
- Keeps current on tools used by the Library and by the Systems Development & Implementation through formal training or independent study.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Library Science, information Science or related area (MS, MA or MLS degree is desirable) with seven years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience.
- 2-3 years experience supervising and directing deployment of significant development efforts or information provision projects strongly desired.
- Extensive experience in analysis, design, front and back-end development and implementation of computer systems, information tools, or enterprise search systems (Elasticsearch preferred).
- Extensive experience with languages such as Visual Basic and one or more of the following: Scripting languages, HTML, MS Internet Information Server, is desirable.
- Extensive experience with standard and advanced metadata taxonomies such as LCSH, MESH, or DTIC is desirable.
- Extensive experience with computers running MS Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista in a network environment, or maintaining information provision tools within such an operating environment.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of personnel.
- Project Management experience is highly desired.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
Equal Opportunity Employer