SEFCU is migrating production work load to Amazon AWS. The Systems Engineering Team is responsible for designing, building, and maintain next generation cloud services solutions in the public cloud using cloud native tools and technologies. The Systems Engineering Team will deliver and maintain solutions using industry best practices and state of the art tools designed specifically for Public Cloud providers.
The Systems Engineering Team will provide analysis, recommendations, deployment, and support for current and future cloud-based initiatives; migrate applications, platforms, and infrastructure from on-premise to cloud services; lead efforts to migrate storage and compute infrastructure to the cloud, and assist departments with planning and implementing various information systems in the cloud. The System Engineering Team is also responsible for cloud monitoring, and disaster recoverability of cloud deployments.
The Systems Engineer candidates will apply systems engineering disciplines to cloud computing and bring a systematic approach to concerns of standardization of cloud computing applications; leverage the methods and tools of systems engineering in conceiving, developing, operating and maintaining cloud computing systems and solutions; use the economics of cloud resources to solve business problems.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of SEFCU’s information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked systems, storage, and associated operating systems. The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of SEFCU’s IT systems investments.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with all lines of SEFCU’s Information Technology staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to the Information Technology teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of SEFCU’s computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems.
- Other duties as needed
Credentials, Experience and Skills
- Bachelors in Systems Engineering or equivalent and 3-4 years of experience or Associates Degree with 8 years of experience
- Experience with:
- AWS Cloud Migration projects
- Planning and executing medium and large-scale migrations of storage, compute and server systems from private infrastructure to public cloud platforms, particularly AWS
- Designing, deploying, testing, supporting, and managing enterprise applications in a cloud environment
- Experience with architecting and maintaining high availability production systems
- Experience in software installation, configuration, and patching knowledge in a cloud environment, including cloud specific products and tools
- Troubleshooting the performance of cloud-based systems and ensure proper security and backup procedures are followed for these systems.
- Proficiency in:
- AWS services such as EC2, IAM, S3, Glacier, Snowball, RDS, etc.
- AWS advanced networking concepts and implementation
- PowerShell or Python
- Sound knowledge of;
- Server infrastructure, virtualization, and cloud computing
- VMWare a plus; ability to deploy, maintain, and troubleshoot servers and services in VMWare environments.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Solid project management skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to conduct research into systems issues and products as required
- Able to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Able to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Visio
- Able to maintain confidentiality of proprietary and sensitive information
- Occasional travel
- Your ability to be bonded is required
Established in 1934, today SEFCU (State Employees Federal Credit Union) is among the 50 largest credit unions in the U.S. with more than $3.5 billion in assets, 330,000 members, and 50 branches in the Capital Region, Binghamton, Syracuse, and Buffalo. SEFCU is committed to Changing Lives Every Day through the donation of time, talent, and treasure.