Under general direction, administers, configures, monitors, supports, and oversees specialized computer applications in assigned area of responsibility, including Microsoft Exchange Online, eDiscovery, and Collaboration and Productivity applications, and other construction/project management, engineering, design/drawing, document management applications as needed.
Implements, analyzes, maintains, configures, troubleshoots, resolves, and performs enhancements and architecture for systems and application problems; interacts directly with computer users and coordinates projects and activities; provides end-user support, account creation and management; researches and identifies effective software and system solutions to meet established Agency goals.
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Administers, configures, and maintains applications in our cloud environments, networked servers and desktop computers; creates user accounts, configures user permissions, and maintains folders security; monitors enterprise level system performance; installs updates, patches and software fixes; works with information technology staff to ensure appropriate solutions are implemented; coordinates user education and discussion sessions; recommends proper use and functionality of application; participates in the creation of new courses and classes; and evaluates training courses to ensure they are effective.
• Implements, upgrades and updates applications; meets with managers and users to identify needs and determine functional and process requirements; prepares specifications and justification for new and enhanced enterprise level business application modifications.
• Coordinates with software vendors to ensure quality and completeness of final product; develops optimum enterprise level software configurations to achieve application functional goals; evaluates and tests new or enhanced business applications; installs or upgrades network business application and hardware; coordinates Agency systems with vendors on resolutions to issues list; provides detailed information on process and gathering information to create a fix; applies fixes and determines if solution has resolved the issue.
• Provides system administration and technical support functions; oversees account management, account creation, changes and deletion; performs application & technical process support, error support (troubleshooting), and enhancement support; and performs maintenance and system security as required/needed.
• Participates in preventative maintenance weekends and after-hours maintenances (as needed) to ensure that patches and critical updates are applied to the infrastructure servers; documents work performed and maintains accurate change management records; updates server documentation via run books and processes documentation as needed.
• Interacts with internal and external customers for planning, coordination, backups, interfaces, system upgrades and enhancements; directs final tier end-user support for problem resolution; maintains and updates documentation, licensees, and user/system requirements; writes documentation on new and enhanced application description and functional capabilities; and prepares and updates user materials and procedures manuals.
• Provides support to the division/department on matters as directed; provides IT support, planning, and information to other IT divisions as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
• Demonstrates Sound Transit’s Values in every interaction.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in computer science, information technology, business administration, engineering, or closely related field and three years of information technology experience in an enterprise messaging system that includes experience in supporting and administering enterprise level software, configurating, implementing, upgrading, and providing help desk/end-user support and change management experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge of:
• In-depth understanding and working knowledge of various versions of MS Exchange Online/Office 365 and 2013/2016.
• In-depth knowledge of various features and configurations available in Exchange Roles and Services, Messaging Policies and Compliance, Configuring Reporting and Logging, Permissions and Role Based Access Control (RBAC), Transport Rules.
• Good understanding and work experience of Anti-Spam and Anti-virus applications and products like various email gateways, IronPort, proof point, Exchange online protection
• Good understanding of DNS, E-Mail Routing, Email Tracking, SMTP / application Mail Relay, Backup and Restore, Disaster Recovery concepts - Single item, single mailbox.
• Thorough knowledge on Active Directory Object Administration and Management.
• A working knowledge of a broad set of content & collaboration technologies including, MS Office 365 tenant solutions including but not limited to Exchange, SharePoint, Office 365, and OneDrive.
• Principles and practices of computer science and information systems.
• Operational characteristics of a variety of computer and network systems, applications, hardware, software and peripheral equipment, including Enterprise financial systems, business intelligence and reporting tools.
• Operations, services and activities of information systems programs.
• Methods and techniques of preparing system specifications, and preparing test data, and in evaluating business requirements and developing information systems solutions.
• Principles, practices, methods and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of systems and applications.
• Principles and practices of enterprise system design, development, analysis, testing and security administration.
• Principles and practices of system software and hardware installation and troubleshooting.
• Functional structure of various operating system components, including system control programs and data access methods.
• Methods and techniques of data security, integrity, backup and recovery processes.
• Methods and techniques of developing technical manuals and instructional materials.
• Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Principles and practices of project management.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
• Principles of customer service.
• Solid understanding of ITIL/ITSM best practices.
• Administering enterprise level server applications with client or web user interfaces, especially strong understanding and work experience with Exchange Online/Office 365.
• Understanding and performing the technical skills necessary for the configuration and maintenance of various features in Exchange Roles and Services, Messaging Policies and Compliance, Configuring Reporting and Logging, Permissions and Role Based Access Control (RBAC), Transport Rules.
• Experience with Active Directory Object Administration and Management.
• Experience developing and troubleshooting of Exchange PowerShell and Office 365 PowerShell scripting.
• Experience with Email archiving/retention solutions
• Experience using with ServiceNow is a plus.
• Configuring tools for monitoring and use them to proactively identify issues.
• Reading, interpreting and applying technical publications, manuals and other documents.
• Installing, troubleshooting, upgrading, testing and supporting systems programs and applications.
• Detecting, isolating and resolving system and application problems using logical and methodical processes.
• Working with vendors to report and track application and technical issues.
• Serving as technical advisor for system architecture and administration and provide technical support to complex systems design and development projects.
• Researching, analyzing and evaluating new service delivery methods.
• Preparing clear, concise and comprehensive reports and written materials.
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
• Interpreting and administering policies and procedures to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
• Demonstrating a positive customer service orientation with both internal and external clients.
• Responding to general inquiries and in effective oral and written communication.
• Working cooperatively with other departments, Agency officials, and outside agencies.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 40 pounds; may occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme temperatures, and extreme noise when working in the data center environment or when working in the field.
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)