Sr. SQL DBA is a critical role in database operations providing guidance on database technologies, best practices and mentoring in the following areas: Database security, SQL Server AlwaysOn, Backup and recovery, query optimization and performance tuning. Responsibilities for the day to day database administrative tasks, such as: proactive monitoring, error checking, performance tuning, implementing database backup and availability framework that meets disaster recovery and business continuity RPO and RTO objectives as determined by business requirements and manage deployments. Strong database administration skills with an emphasis on enterprise scale architecture.
Responsibilities and Associated Duties
- Works with Enterprise Architects as a principal team member and technology leader responsible for the architectural design, development, implementation and support of UWA’s Microsoft and Virtual platforms and supporting environments, including server systems, virtual systems in public or private cloud environments, and all components operating on that platform (i.e., AlwaysOn availability groups, clustering and replication technologies; SQL 2014,2012, 2008/R2/2012/R2; VMWare; etc.) including server hardware, vital supporting systems, automation systems, and performance monitoring systems.
- Works with Enterprise Architects as a principal team member and technology leader responsible for the architecture design, development, implementation and support of UWA’s cloud infrastructure, primarily Azure.
- Provides expert technical leadership in key areas of expertise
- Work with other Infrastructure teams, Infrastructure management, and key business units to identify requirements that meet the organization's needs and is responsible for development and delivery of solutions approved by the Microsoft and Virtual platforms team.
- Work with other team Administrators to monitor, maintain and provide on-going support of Microsoft solutions and supporting infrastructures.
- Initiate, plan, and implement business continuity scenarios for UWA’s Microsoft and Virtual platforms (including supporting infrastructures), including continuous improvement of geographically diverse server and/or hosted resources.
- Facilitate enterprise-level datacenter operations, including remediation as needed; create and follow standard operating procedures for datacenter facilities.
- Facilitate operation and deployment of infrastructures and code related to UWA Microsoft .Net platform initiatives, and maintain familiarity with in-house developed systems on the Microsoft .Net platform.
- Work with team(s) to ensure Microsoft infrastructures are secure and updated to current relevant releases.
- Facilitate and participate in efforts to create and maintain standard infrastructure documentation.
- Provide 3rd-level on-call support of escalated incident response and problem management issues on a rotating basis.
- Provide top-tier on-call support for on-call personnel to provide expert support of escalated incident response and problem management on a rotating basis.
- Engages in a planned program of professional development to maintain continual growth in professional skills and knowledge essential to the position.
- Mentors team members on best practices for existing and new Microsoft database technologies
- Provides timely feedback to management and coworkers
- Provides support for the Change Management process
- Be available via company provided equipment (mobile email/phone device) during on-call rotation periods, and continuously for specific areas of expertise.
- Other tasks as defined by the manager/supervisor
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 5 years’ experience in SQL Database Administration
- Strong familiarity with database backups and recovery methods
- Strong familiarity with query, SQL instance and operating system scalability and performance tuning
- Strong familiarity with HA (high availability) concepts, designs, implementation and administration including AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Clustering
- Strong familiarity with database and information security
- Strong familiarity with SQL Reporting Services
- familiarity with SQL Master Data Services
- Windows Server 2003, 2008/2008R2, 2012/2012R2; SQL Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2014
- Experience, exposure to Microsoft .Net technologies and supporting platform
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009/2012; Dynamics CRM 2011 is a plus
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Office 365 is a plus
- Familiarity with SAN concepts
- Familiarity with SharePoint and Microsoft .Net platform concepts and administration
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Visio preferred to facilitate documentation efforts
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Active Directory security
- Strong familiarity with and thorough understanding of networking concepts
- Strong familiarity with SQL Server operations in a virtualized environments (VMWare)
- Requires excellent oral and written communications skills. Communicates with staff and upper management on a regular basis and works regularly with users and other IT staff members and external vendors.
- Self-motivated and works closely with a team; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Receives direction from supervisor or team lead, but demands some independent decision making and un-reviewed actions in accordance with departmental and company policies
- Requires excellent problem solving/troubleshooting and diagnostic skills. Requires a high level of experience with troubleshooting complex issues.
- Involves understanding highly complex system designs.
Impact of Decisions
- The designs implemented by this individual will impact the entire organization.
Contact With Others
- Internal contact with many levels within the organization. External contact with service providers and vendors to facilitate product support, installation and problem resolution.
- Some heavy lifting involved; must understand principles of working with electrostatic-sensitive devices.
- Fire suppression system in datacenter facilities
Normal working conditions
This position description highlights a general description of duties and responsibilities. Employee(s) may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described herein, and any duties are subject to change at any time, according to the needs of the location or Company.