Our client, a mid-sized public policy and research non-profit organization is actively seeking a Senior Systems Engineer for their Washington, DC office. Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience. Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply. or Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply. only as our client will not sponsor at this time.Position Overview:
The Officer, Systems Engineering is the senior technical expert responsible for leading the design and operation of Pew's data centers, and hosted infrastructure, including server and storage technologies. The position is part of the Infrastructure Operations group which manages all on-premises, hosted or cloud infrastructure. The Officer position requires expert knowledge in specialized technologies, such as data center operation, storage, VMware, Windows Server, single sign-on and authentication and authorization, DR and replication; and infrastructure security technologies. Ultimately, this position contributes to the larger responsibility of the Infrastructure Operations unit to ensure the alignment of Pew's technology strategy and priorities with the goals and objectives of the organization.
The Officer, Systems Engineering has no direct management responsibility but is expected to contribute to the mentoring and professional development of junior staff within the unit. He or she will manage multiple complex projects with data center and infrastructure components and work across divisions and with outside entities such as contracted firms. The Officer reports to the Manager, Infrastructure Operations.Responsibilities:
- Architect, implement and manage the company's server and storage infrastructure and datacenters.
- Design and manage a fully virtualized environment of Windows servers in a multi-datacenter configuration.
- Design and implement automated management and monitoring of the infrastructure and services the company uses. Provide metrics and performance reports with respect to each service.
- Perform in-depth analysis of system performance and planning and summarize the results for varying audiences, from the company and outside technical partners through to senior-level management.
- Serve as a technical expert and one of the highest levels of escalation for infrastructure and security issues.
- Implement and maintain server infrastructure security and authentication and authorization and single-sign-on systems.
- Respond to audits and support periodic penetration tests.
- Perform planning, risk assessment, and documentation following procedures, best practices, and ensuring systems availability.
- Maintain systems by managing product and capabilities roadmaps; establishing and following maintenance procedures; and working with vendors and other staff to perform regular maintenance.
- Manage configurations and the deployment of the company's server infrastructure in compliance with established business practices.
- Design, lead and document disaster recovery (DR) planning and testing.
- Provide mentoring, guidance and education to junior staff. Provide feedback on junior staff, and work with the manager to ensure their appropriate professional development.
- Manage outside expert-level infrastructure contracting firms to complete complex projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required
- A minimum of eight years of relevant and specialized systems engineering experience demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility and technical expertise in a corporate enterprise environment and solving problems as the highest level of escalation for systems and systems security issues.
- Demonstrated senior-level experience implementing, supporting, and maintaining 24x7 infrastructure services.
- In-depth experience performing capacity planning and configuration assessments for server hardware, storage area networking, systems, DR and replication processes, and supporting infrastructure.
- Expert level experience with on-premise infrastructure, specifically Microsoft technologies (Replication, Trusts, GPOs, etc.), VMware, storage, Citrix, network ports and protocols, and DNS.
- Significant experience with cloud applications such as Office 365, Salesforce, Workday, etc. and of the platform as a service such as Azure.
- Expert-level knowledge of directory services and in-depth experience with single sign-on solutions.
- Evidence of previous work on multiple large-scale projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage configurations and the deployment of systems in compliance with established business practices.
- Experience in devising technical solutions that will enhance performance, increase redundancy, and add flexibility to the existing infrastructure.
- Background in the system and network availability and monitoring of services.
- Background in integrating cloud services with on-premise infrastructure.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a polished presentation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present information in a compelling and persuasive manner.
- Ability to address severe issues off-hours and work on the planned maintenance windows.
- Microsoft, VMware, or security certifications preferred.
- Experience with single sign on systems preferred.
RCM Technologies is a leading provider of IT Business Solutions and Engineering Services to over 1,000 clients in the commercial and government sectors. RCM partners with clients to define implement and manage a broad range of technologies across multiple platforms, systems, and networks. Our broad geographic presence ensures that a proven and reliable tactical and strategic capability is available and deployable virtually everywhere in North America.
RCM Technologies, (USA) Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. RCMT encourages applicants of all ages.