Office: Washington, DC
Department: Information Technology (Firmwide)
Reports to: Enterprise Applications Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. 5:30 p.m.; Monday Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Desktop & Mobility Engineering Manager, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Systems Engineer will be responsible for providing system administration support, system maintenance, and operation of a Citrix XenApp environment running on VMware. The Systems Engineer's work shall include the efforts involved with developing, testing, and implementing both physical and virtualized workstation, laptop, and tablet images using Citrix technologies. Additionally, the Systems Engineer will perform Tier 3-level incident and problem support of virtualized images and provide necessary recommendations on potential image/system enhancements, speed, and security. The Systems Engineer is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm's clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous
improvement. Above all, the Systems Engineer must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Act as Subject Matter Expert for various Citrix technologies to include: XenApps and Desktop 7.15 LTSR, NetScaler, StoreFront, Provisioning Services and MCS.
- Configure and manage Citrix gateway configuration on Citrix NetScaler.
- Manage Citrix user profile with UPM solution and folder redirection
- Manage Citrix images with App Layering.
- Manage VDA with Workspace Environment Management (WEM).
- Perform software installations and upgrades to operating systems and oversees the deployment of business critical applications to the firm's desktop environment (virtual/physical).
- Monitor and troubleshoot real-time and historical health monitoring of the Citrix Virtual Apps or Desktop Site using Citrix Director.
- Schedule installations and upgrades, and maintain them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures.
- Monitor and tune the system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Ensure workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
- Ensure data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Support media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services.
- Develop and promote standard operating procedures.
- Conduct routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive operating system hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
- Monitor and provide performance tuning to system components as required to ensure optimum system function.
- Participate in disaster recovery planning and tests.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies and provide input for process improvement.
- Ensure adequate documentation of all strategies, processes, and procedures related to the implementation and support of the environment.
- Assist with resolution of escalated incidents and participate in problem management activities
- Work with customers to resolve desktop problems and service requests such as software installations, remotely, using tools such as SCCM, Remote Desktop Connection, Active Directory, etc.
- Collaborate with hardware and OS technical teams to ensure proper integration with each system.
- Participate in cross-functional team projects to implement new or updated technology.
- Work with other members within Technology Services Group to ensure complete and timely resolution of customer questions and issues, and to complete any necessary follow-up on resolution.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Experience with Citrix XenDesktop/XenApp, Citrix StoreFront, Citrix Provisioning Services, Citrix NetScaler, UPM, WEM, App Layer
- Experience with VDI deployments and Microsoft App-V
- Experience with Microsoft RDS, SCCM, WSUS, WDS, MDT, MBAM, Bitlocker
- Experience managing an Active Directory environment to include a strong knowledge of Windows Group Policy Objects and Group Policy Preferences (GPO/GPP)
- Demonstrated experience with user environment management
- Application deployment process and functional network troubleshooting
- Proficient in scripting and automation; VB Script, Power Shell or Perl scripting
- Knowledge of Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, occasionally for prolonged periods of time and under restrictive deadlines, and complete work assignments logically and accurately
- Ability to prepare systems and configuration documentation
- Experience supporting Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Experience with Office 365 and Microsoft OCT
- Knowledge of the network protocol TCP/IP, including sub-netting and routing and the ability to troubleshoot intermediate networking issues
- Familiarity with remote support software ie, LogMeIn, GoToMyPC
- Familiarity with installation and configuration of Windows servers
- Experience developing, deploying and supporting Windows Operating Systems (workstations and servers)
- Experience with desktop imaging software
- Broad knowledge of network and server systems with a strong ability to understand complex environments in order to perform a thorough root cause analysis
- Knowledge in system patching and malware protection products
- Experience with VPN technologies
- Must have strong knowledge in enterprise System design including virtualization, SAN, DAS, and NAS systems, data replication and consolidation
- Experience in translating business requirements and designs into technical designs
- High level of written communication and documentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and work independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to fully utilize tools to compile and analyze data
- Results driven professional who can organize, prioritize, plan and multi-task work activities, with the ability to effectively meet deadlines in a high pressure environment
- Excellent communication and customer service skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of personnel of the Firm
- Consistently demonstrates judgment and discretion in a results orientated environment
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow instructions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information and adhering to the Firm's Core Values
- Commitment to professional growth and development
EDUCATIONAL/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS :
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Citrix Certified Associate - Virtualization (CCA - V) certification preferred
- An equivalent combination of experience and training