Responsible for ongoing design, development, implementation, and operations of carrier-grade customer premises equipment (CPE) activation, configuration, and operations platforms/applications and their associated operating systems, databases, and dependencies
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with internal departments to review existing integration capabilities, data sources, and proposed solution designs for feasibility, cost and functionality.
- Conduct design sessions with appropriate participation from architects and engineers; creates detailed design documents and functional specifications.
- Collaborate to create configuration designs for design and implementation of various environments.
- Create work effort estimates for new features and bug fixes for use in prioritization and release management.
- Review new development tools, application frameworks and testing tools for functionality / effectiveness.
- Install, administer, configure, and maintain CPE applications including operating systems and related software.
- Provide 'on-call' support to resolve issues after normal business hours.
- Use established change management processes, requiring operational procedures be performed with minimal customer impact, (i.e. during established maintenance window).
- Develop and curate scripts to aid in configuring, maintaining, and operating CPE platforms.
- Configure, tune and maintain databases in a variety of languages.
- Document systems configurations and upgrades.
- Design and implement change and control policies and disaster recovery plans; lead troubleshooting efforts to restore functionality in the event of an outage.
- Monitor and assist in managing applications, device availability, network conditions and status, system reliability and performance, service and program maintenance, and storage resources.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
BASIC / MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and / or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five (5) years Network / Systems Engineering experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years of Application administration work experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years of OSS application work experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years Systems administration and scripting work experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years Database support and development work experience.
ADDITIONAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to maintain and administer UNIX-based platforms, including performance tuning, package installation, patch management, network and server management tasks.
- Advanced knowledge of troubleshooting tools (i.e tcpdump, netstat, iostat, traceroute, snoop), carrier-grade monitoring applications, development tools and frameworks including Shell, Python, Perl, Java, C/C++, TCL, PHP, Ruby.
- Solid understanding of LAN/WAN topology, network protocols (TCP/IP, FTP, NFS), switches and firewalls.
- Experience activating, configurating, and maintaining CPE per the DOCSIS, PacketCable, TR-069, and SNMP specifications.
- Comprehension of the DHCP, DNS, SNMP, and TFTP protocols.
- In-depth knowledge of choosing the appropriate lifecycle and the planning, monitoring and control of the systems engineering process.
- Ability to troubleshoot application problems, conduct design sessions to specify solution designs for feasibility, cost, and functionality.
- In-depth knowledge of development tools, application and testing tools, OSS applications and software.
- Knowledge of network and systems engineering systems concepts and system/super-system skills, including Cisco UCS and VMWare systems.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner.
- Capable of creating detailed documentation to functionally understand new and existing applications.
- Ability to follow and implement established change and control policies and procedures.
- Strong ability to transform an operational need into a description of system parameters and incorporate those parameters in the control of the total system development to achieve an optimum, cost-effective balance of all system elements.
- RHEL Certified Systems Administrator – RHCSA.