Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
Travelers Infrastructure and Cloud Services is hiring a Systems Monitoring Engineer who will design, plan, implement, and maintain complex log aggregation and monitoring solutions through both third party and in house developed tools. The incumbent will support enterprise-wide projects in emerging technologies such as the public cloud, hybrid cloud, and container technologies, with a focus on the foundational support through observability. Participate and assist with a move towards an SRE work ethic with all work related to observability.
Under general supervision, demonstrates a thorough understanding of the activities performed related to engineering support, installation and/or operations of infrastructure technologies. Plans at an operational level designing and developing technology solutions interfacing with appropriate customers, management and technical resources. Facilitates and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of large complex technology solutions supporting one or more business and/or technology areas. Develops and implements appropriate solutions that may involve multiple platforms, databases, software/hardware technologies and tools. Strong ability to multi-task in an environment of changing priorities. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet with internal customers to review, evaluate and provide direction for our monitoring solutions.
- Maintain and troubleshoot the current monitoring infrastructure.
- Participation in a regular on-call support rotation.
- Research and thoroughly study documentation to implement new tools or features of existing tools
- Evaluates systems specifications regarding customer requirements, transforming specifications into cost-effective, technically correct solutions.
- Prioritizes work and manages projects within established budget objectives and customer priorities.
- Responsible for establishing and managing to established quality control and security protocols.
- Provides the division, department and business area management with timely and accurate information regarding the status and performance of the assigned project(s).
- Leverages technology to develop, redesign and/or implement optimal technology solutions.
- Builds, leverages, and maintains effective alliances across technical and business community.
- Interacts with customers to achieve efficient, effective results.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, required.
- Three years of experience in Technology required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Required - at least 1 year experience with one the following: ElasticSearch (Observability experienced preferred) and/or Kafka (Confluent Kafka experience preferred)
- Five years of experience in Technology preferred.
- Experience providing technical direction to project teams preferred.
- Working knowledge of infrastructure technologies such as Network, Database, Server, Storage etc. preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following technical skills:
- Foundational IT Infrastructure
- Unix based Operation Systems
- Knowledge of process discipline and IDLC methodology
- Ability to utilize APIs and write scripts for automation
- Ability to collect requirements and architect complex solutions under pressure
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- The following skills are preferred:
- Experience implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting observability and monitoring tool suites such as: Zabbix, Elastic Stack, Prometheus, Nagios, Dynatrace, Splunk, Datadog, etc...
- Knowledge and experience writing scripts with Python or Golang preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with DevOps tools: RabbitMQ, Jenkins, Selenium, git and GitHub, Puppet
- E xperience with infrastructure as code tools such as ansible and terraform
- E xperience providing technical direction to project teams preferred
Preferred License and Certifications
Any certifications related to the following is preferred:
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.