The Database Engineer is responsible for third tier and executive customer support, oversight, management and administration of database infrastructure services. This includes installing, tuning, migrating, and supporting databases. Senior Engineers are directly responsible for enabling new business opportunities through technology integrations and aiding the employee workforce in collaboration and utilization of cloud services
The Database Engineer participates in the database administration activities such as capacity planning, back up, monitoring, installing, configuring of enterprise databases and its related components. The Database Engineer will work on tuning the database for performance, availability and migrating the databases as part of consolidation. The candidate should contribute to knowledge base of the software engineers who develop and design the applications utilizing the databases. Finally, the Database Engineer will be responsible for research and implementation of new database features which supports the business objectives and improves database performance/availability.
- Engineers the technical solutions to business requirements based on infrastructure design
- Installing and configuring the enterprise databases to support business initiatives. This includes gathering the requirements of the database needs and sizing the configuration appropriately for a new or existing database.
- Monitoring and taking proactive steps to increase the availability and minimizing the outages of the Enterprise Oracle Databases. This includes tasks focused on defining and tracking relevant metrics, database development activities as well as tuning the databases.
- Keeping the Databases up to date. This includes the regular patching, upgrade and support activities which are required to keep the database secure and current.
- Support activities that include on call (24/7) monitoring of the critical production databases and taking reactive procedures to provide business continuity
- Support development community. This includes database design as well as code reviews, contributing to the knowledge base of the software engineers about oracle database features, tuning expertise and providing implementation support as required.
- Support the enterprise development objectives, this includes deployment of the database artifacts and researching the impact and enabling any database feature that would be required for the enterprise applications.
- Respond to customer requests
- Install, configure and manage VMware virtualization environment components (Traditional and hyper-converged)
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and standards
- Install and maintain system and security patches
- Provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced members of the team
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies and key vendor solutions and roadmaps in the relevant IT domain
- Support off-hour and on-call activities
- Project coordination, advising, implementation
- Participate in complex projects of long duration providing execution
- May provide analysis and design consultation for technical or infrastructure projects
- Generate detail design for technical solutions
- Manage technical deliverables in the Infrastructure phase
- Provide accurate estimates for building components
- May work as Project Development Lead Role
- Work closely with upstream and downstream roles
- Review technical solutions against business requirements
- Understand and implements business requirements and detailed design
- Generate Phase Exit Review items for the Infrastructure phase
- Maintain and share knowledge, troubleshoot issues
- Help share knowledge and skill with teams
- Maintain capable, current knowledge and expertise in a wide range of infrastructure techniques, technologies, processes, platforms, and infrastructure systems
- Troubleshoot production and non-production issues utilizing the appropriate tools
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows Products and Technologies, Microsoft Server/Application Products and Technologies, VMWare Products and Technologies
- Advanced knowledge of Database systems including SQL
- Ability to create new and modify existing recipes and cookbooks
- Familiarity with Cloud technologies such as AWS and Azure
- Working knowledge of scripting technologies such as Ruby and BASH
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field is preferred; may consider certification from a technical school and/or 5 years of equivalent experience in lieu of degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with Database Administration including SQL
- Minimum 2 years of experience with Office 365 Enterprise Tenant
- Minimum 2 years with Windows 2012
- Must have knowledge in Powershell Scripting and script logic concepts
- Must have knowledge of DNS, TCP/IP, SSL, and Web hosting concepts
- Must have knowledge of Active Directory LDAP and Azure Active Directory
- Consistently exceptional performance with demonstrated superior record of reliable and timely task completion where direction of a team effort is required