Position Title: Technical Business Analyst
Location: Herndon, VA
Exostar is a leader in providing cloud-based Identity and Access Management (IAM), collaboration, and supply chain management solutions for multiple industries. A joint venture of BAE Systems, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Rolls Royce; Exostar was founded to streamline and secure the supply chain ecosystem in the Aerospace and Defense industry. In 2014, Merck joined the founders to simplify and secure intellectual property (IP) exchange in the Life Sciences industry utilizing Exostar’s solutions. Today, Exostar works with over 100,000 organizations in more than 50 countries worldwide.
The Business Analyst (BA) within our Security program will capture and document business requirements in support of program lead IAM solutions for Aerospace and Defense, Life Sciences, or other industries. These IAM solutions focus on verifying user identity, strong multifactor authentication, delegated administration and access control, and federated single sign-on. Additional modules provide organizational-level data tracking and management, PKI, and branding capabilities.
Requirements may be general, product focused, or customer specific. The BA will also work with Product Management, UI/UX, Development, Support, Technical Operations, and Quality Assurance to develop the functional, security, and UI/UX requirements and initial solution design. These requirements and designs will take the form of epics, versions, and user stories and their underlying functional requirements.
The role requires an ability to understand and grasp technical and business concepts, validate them with various internal and external stakeholders, analyze and document them and communicate them effectively to engineering and QA teams. The ideal candidate for this role has a technical background early in career, has transitioned into Business Analyst function with a touch of Project Management and has been exposed to product development and product management processes.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, and workflow analysis.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artifacts as needed:
- Business Requirements Documents
- Functional Requirements Documents
- Use Cases
- GUI, Screen and Interface designs
- Epic / User Story
- Strong analytical skills and exposure to product management discipline is required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Serves as the conduit between the customer community (internal and external customers) and the software development team through which requirements flow.
- Serves as the conduit between the development team and the quality assurance team.
- Develop requirements specifications according to standard templates or using standard tools, using natural language.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
Desired Qualifications/Experience: While all of the below are not mandatory, having some of the below skills will make you a great fit for this role.
- Around 7 to 10 years of overall experience with 3 to 5 years as a Business Analyst.
- Experience or exposure to project management methodologies
- Experience working with JIRA/Confluence or other industry standard tools to manage and document requirements, draw process diagrams, manage requirements traceability
- Well-developed negotiation, facilitation, and consensus-building skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, customers, and subject matter experts
- 3 to 5 years software development background would be a plus.
- Experience and exposure to Aerospace and Defense Industries or Healthcare and Lifesciences industries.
- Experience with Identity Management solutions, SaaS/Cloud based solutions.
- Data analysis experience and report design
- Exposure to projects with UI/UX development, ability to work with UI/UX designers to develop and document UI/UX requirements.
- A strong ability to document complex process, ability to optimize, re-factor and improve business processes is highly desired.
- Minimum education: Bachelors (4yr.) degree is required.
- Computer Sciences background would be desired.
Exostar is an Equal Employment Employer. The company provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability status or genetic information. Exostar is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons in all facets of employment including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, training, benefits, transfers and working conditions.
- As much as 25% in support of customer projects