6 month contract to hire
Description: PROJECT: DataCORE is a clinical application platform for healthcare providers to address risk adjustment and quality gaps in care to provide better value-based care. This role is to lead a subset of the engineering team, which will be compromised of data engineers, software engineers, and quality engineers.
IDEAL BACKGROUND: Healthcare experience is not necessary. I have found that the most successful candidates come from well-established technology companies (e.g., Target).
*** What experience will set candidates apart from one another? This will be hands-on role from a mentorship and delivery standpoint. That is, they must be able to do hands-on coding in Java, as well as be able to test their code. Their approach to software development should have a business focus in an agile environment, but with a technically sound approach to building customer-facing highly scalable, resilient, and supportable applications. Successful candidates will possess experience that demonstrates that.
TEAM STRUCTURE: The team is comprised of approximately 25 software engineers and 5 quality engineers spanning two delivery teams. One team is focused primarily on architecture, enablement, and DevOps. The second team is focused on delivery of business features across the entire platform. This will be a leadership role over the entire second delivery team referenced leading two technical delivery managers and the engineering team members that report to them.
*** Cannot provide sponsorship upon conversion.
*** Candidates must be able to move between hands-on technical at the code level to formal management, mentorship, and leadership.
INTERVIEW PROCESS: It is a single round interview of approximately an hour and a half comprised of hands-on coding, logic, and behavioral questions
* Facilitate delivery in a cross-functional team of software engineers, quality engineers, and systems analysts in DevOps delivery of a software platform
* Coordinate efficient and effective agile delivery processes and contribute to operational enhancements
* Coordinate troubleshooting and resolution of issues
* Collaborate with delivery team and business stakeholders to design robust and reusable solutions, as well as facilitate the translation to technical designs
* Collaborate and influence proactive system monitoring practices and strategies to help identify issues prior to customer impact
* Promote a mindset and culture within the team that embraces identifying, owning, and solving issues, driving quality, improving performance, and improving the customer experience
* Estimate delivery effort, as well as effectively identify and prioritize high-value deliverables
* Assist in story definition, evaluation, translation, and business requirements gathering from product owners and business stakeholders
* Communicate effectively with peers and subordinates to drive efficient team delivery
* Collaborate in continuous planning with business stakeholders and other technology team leaders to ensure a successful delivery plan is available for business priorities
* Mentor software engineers and lead software engineering code quality and best practices (e.g., test best practices, design patterns, code smells, etc.)
* Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or closely related technical discipline
* 8+ years of experience with Java
* 8+ years of experience with unit testing, integration testing, and UI testing frameworks and methodologies (e.g., Spock, Jasmine, Selenium, etc.) as part of software testing automation
* 8+ years of experience working with, and contributing to, the design of complex technical architectures in resilient and high-scalability environments
* 6+ years of experience with application persistence layers and related design choices (e.g., SQL, NoSQL, etc.)
* 4+ years of experience implementing or contributing to optimizing modern agile delivery processes (e.g., SCRUM, Kanban, SAFe, etc.)
* 4+ years of experience using Git source control
* 2+ years of Technical Management experience
* Knowledge of implementing maintainable and well-tested software and relevant support technologies (e.g., Java, Angular, Spock, Git, SQL/NoSQL databases, Kafka, etc.)
* Knowledge of modern agile processes and optimization
* Ability to architect resilient and high-scalability applications
* Ability to learn quickly and adapt to change in a fast-moving environment
* Ability to translate complex business requirements into simple, elegant technical solutions
* Detail-oriented and highly motivated
* Quality-first approach for development implementation and team processes
* Desire for continuous learning and improvement
* Highly collaborative approach to technical delivery from the standpoint of business domain and requirements
* Desire to work outside comfort zone
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or