Job Title: Technical Project Manager-R&D
Location: San Mateo, CA
Duration: 6 months
Primary responsibility of the Technical Project Manager R&D is to partner with various R&D engineering teams to successfully project manage and support various technical R&D projects (hardware and software) as per the agreed scope/cost/time, collaborating with stakeholders in Japan, U.K and US. The ideal candidate is detail oriented, has excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills, having strong technical background, with deep experience in successful deliveries of multiple concurrent hardware & software projects using both waterfall and agile methodologies. Focuses on meeting project commitments by exchanging information, ensuring communications with sponsors and stakeholders, vendors. Spends significant time on tracking activity and tasks, working cross-functionally as a communications specialist and a conflict arbitrator.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities: (Summary list of typical duties and responsibilities of the job / essential functions) • Managing R&D Projects in cutting edge technologies, collaborating with Project leads, to deliver them in committed time, agreed scope and required quality.
• PM support of R&D engineering managers and Projects in terms of project planning/scheduling, task tracking and follow up as needed, managing internal teams across sites & managing multiple vendors
• Setting up & maintaining tools for project tracking and ensuring effective project document management
• Setting up and conducting meetings with stakeholders, teams, vendors as needed
• Managing the communication, activity and tasks between team members in U.S., U.K and Japan.
• Working with Engineering manager to set up/maintain/improve vendor/project delivery process
• Proactively identifying risks in any projects and working with other members for solutions.
• Preparing presentations, project documentation and reports
Required Knowledge / Skills: (Lists out the job skills that must be met to perform the position (i.e. Managing subordinates; Knowledge specifications)
• Well experienced in being hands-on in delivering multiple research & development projects, involving teams across geographies, managing multiple vendors acting as a program manager
• Having experience in both waterfall and agile methodologies
• Having delivered Hardware and Software related projects, identifying and managing dependencies.
• Proficient in developing and managing project schedules, tasks and open issues
o Establishing and updating schedules as needed
o Defining and assigning tasks along with due dates
o Stimulating team to identify issues, risks and also corresponding action/mitigation plans
o Following up on action items and tasks to make sure they get completed on time
o Addressing administrative, project-related tasks
• Experience in managing Projects delivering innovative R&D ideas from prototype to commercial products highly desirable
• Skilled in helping Engineering managers /teams to define scope & requirements, out of unclear situations as well as helping in creating a release cadence
• Experience in project management tools like MS Project , JIRA
• Experienced in managing projects, through the life cycle of prototyping/ requirements/ development/ QA/ staging/ production environments delivering client/server based systems
• Must be able to communicate effectively (both written and verbal) having ability to understand & manage cultural sensitivities in among U.S. and Japan working environments.
• Must be able to communicate with a wide variety of audiences ranging in skill set (highly technical to non-technical) and experience (individual contributors to executive management), cross-organizationally and with external partners.
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment and build strong working relationships with internal partners.
• Motivated, organized self-starter with excellent problem solving and analysis skills.
• Able to understand workflows and identify process improvements
Required Experience / Education:
• Typically requires 7+ years of related experience
• 5+ years of Agile/Scrum, Hardware/Waterfall development experience
• At least 5 years of relevant work-related software development experience in related industries such as gaming, consumer electronics, and embedded software platform and application development
• Experience in delivering projects in latest technologies like Sensing, AI, Analytics/Big Data a plus.
• Experience of having collaborated with Japan stakeholders – Highly Desirable
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering.
• PMP, CSM, etc. certifications a plus
• Understanding of and experience with SAFe is a plus This Job will require the selected candidate to travel up to 20% of time depending
W : + 1 408 550 1224