Technical Writer – Grade 10
San Jose, CA
What You'll Do
The Enterprise Networking Business seeks a Technical Writer to conceptualize, research and write documentation for Cisco Enterprise Networking products. In addition to translating complex concepts into user-friendly concise instructions, you will learn about the latest developments in networking technologies and be part of a dynamic team.
The ideal candidate brings substantial technical knowledge, a background working with networks and toolsets and the ability to collaborate effectively with a wide variety of product groups. Conceptualize, plan, develop, and write documentation sets, including complex technical material, under limited supervision. Identify, plan for and revise technical writing project requirements, and research complex source material for these projects. Help to identify and implement standards and process improvements. Perform simultaneous task and project coordination for multiple projects. Serve as lead writer for complex projects and ensure that projects are completed on schedule. Attend and contribute to product/project team meetings. Work with editors and technical resources to improve document quality and usability. Take on special projects outside the scope of regular tasks.
Requirement for this role
- Typically requires BA/BS or equivalent experience, and 6-10 years of related experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, and analytical skills. Successful management-to-completion of many major projects.
- Preferred: Degree in Technical Writing, English, Journalism, or Computer Science.
- Fundamental knowledge of the business processes, systems, and philosophy associated with high-performance, high technology companies.
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to identify the significantly complex information needs of target audiences, develop appropriate documentation plans, and manage the execution of those plans concurrently.
- High proficiency in networking technology and a thorough understanding of technical writing and project management.
- Ability to create complex technical documents.
- Ability to partner with training developers, leveraging common information in the development of complementary documentation and courseware.
- Proven leadership skills in the areas of team building, project management, and the mentoring of junior and mid-level writers. Limited supervision, including: little or no supervision in the pursuit of established goals and the resolution of complex issues as they arise.
- Makes independent decisions with management input of complex decisions and technical knowledge.
- Ability to independently exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for group projects. Ability to solve a wide range of complex problems related to creation and maintenance of documentation sets in creative and practical ways.
- Experience in content marketing, product marketing, product management, trade journalism considered a plus.