The Advanced Solutions Group (ASG) at Leidos currently has an opening for a Technical Writer to work at our Columbia, Maryland location. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience supporting an important, fast-paced, mission critical program.
The selected candidate will author, edit, and proof technical documents such as System Manuals, User Guides and other technical documentation. Candidate will ensure that documents conform to program standards and Data Item Description (DID) requirements. He/she will work with the engineering team to define the content of the documents with the candidate having primary responsibility for authorship. The candidate will prepare user documentation, requirements from users/stakeholders, will work closely with technical staff and must be able to handle multiple documentation assignments simultaneously.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
The candidate will assist in collecting and organizing information required for preparation of technical documentation supporting complex computer systems which may include user manuals, training materials, installation guides, proposals, and other reports and deliverables. Candidate will work in concert with software and system engineers in capturing data and media to support technical documentation generation. The individual will edit functional descriptions, system specifications, user manuals, special reports, and other customer deliverables and documents. He/she will work closely with program Data Management staff to ensure document configuration management (CM) and version control for all deliverables, and will perform in accordance with and guide implementation of Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Maturity Level 3 best practices.
External Referral Eligible
• A Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of technical writing experience preparing documents, reports, responses, Contract Data Requirements List (CDRLs), and briefings targeted to a wide range of audiences, including senior management
• Must be willing and able to learn structured FrameMaker via formal and/or informal training for the purpose of working on Technical Orders
• Experience effectively formatting and editing technical publications and proposals, including writing, editing, and illustrating using the MS Office Suite
• Experience working with system engineers, software engineers, and program management to translate technical information into clear, concise documentation to include user manuals
• Must be able to plan and prioritize personal tasking and be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Must be an independent thinker, capable of performing high quality work, both independently and with a team, in a fast-moving environment
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
• Recent experience on a system/software development program compiling, editing, and publishing CDRL documentation
• Familiarity with CMMI ML3 best practices, DID formats, and agile methodologies
• Recent experience at a similar cyber security operational organization
• Proven experience with Structured FrameMaker and SGML