A Lucas Systems Technical Writer is the key link between our product managers, subject matter experts (SMEs), software developers, and individuals who implement and use our products and services. We’re looking for an experienced technical writer who has worked in the agile software development field and can organize information into a succinct, comprehensible, searchable format, transform the most complex ideas into simple ones, and has strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The Technical Writer must juggle multiple areas of focus, such as requirements gathering, interviewing SMEs and software developers, and developing internal and external-facing documentation. The ability and desire to switch contexts rapidly from project to project is crucial.
A Lucas Systems Technical Writer will use Bitbucket, Confluence, JIRA, Git, and other tools to gather information in order to create documentation. Experience with these and similar tools is preferred.
- Ability to understand complex, specialized information and accurately distill and present it with clarity and consistency to a diverse range of audiences.
- Ability to coordinate activities with all levels of employees and external business partners through clear and concise verbal and written communication.
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, and manage multiple projects within time constraints.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve complex and sensitive project and team issues with diplomacy and persuasiveness.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to be flexible in the face of shifting deadlines and multiple, concurrent projects.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop strong working relationships with other partners and groups to achieve the strongest possible impact on the intended audience.
- Demonstrate the ability to navigate and understand technical materials, such as code samples, functional specifications, and technical design documents.
- Create documentation standards and guidelines for use by software development engineers.
- Attend development meetings and work directly with software development engineers to learn how to use the feature/tool.
- Document features and enhancements as they evolve, providing testing and usability feedback to the product team.
- Create comprehensive user guides and step-by-step tutorials that can be used for both training classes as well as independent study. Tutorials will be developed both for internal and external audiences.
- Publish, maintain, and validate all product-related documents with a focus on single-sourcing content and maximizing content reuse.
- Edit the work of others to ensure it has a consistent voice and content of documentation.
- Assist in training programs as needed.
Education and Experience:
- The Technical Writer would have a Bachelor's degree in technical communication, software development, journalism, communications, or a related field and at least 5+ years of experience writing software documentation (including online help) for consumer and technical audiences (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
***No phone calls or agencies please
Lucas Systems, Inc. is the fastest-growing provider of mobile work execution solutions that enable retailers, wholesale distributors, and manufacturers to improve warehouse operations. Our software products provide a rapid return on investment for our customers by helping workers do their jobs more efficiently and accurately using real-time speech recognition software and other data capture technology running on mobile devices. Lucas software is used by Fortune 50 companies, large private distributors, and other industry leaders.
Founded in 1998, Lucas is a growing and consistently profitable organization with an expanding global presence. We offer a dynamic, collaborative, innovative and entrepreneurial work environment that continues to create opportunities for both personal and professional growth for high-performing individuals in both the US and UK.