The Information Technology (IT) department for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (the Tribe) provides and supports a leading edge technology infrastructure to the organization in support of ever changing technological advances in the Gaming industry and the Tribe’s business enterprises. The ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is key to the success of the IT staff to meet the demands of this technically proficient and high demand department.
Reporting to the IT Business Finance Manager, the Technical Writer partners with internal SMEs and stakeholders to understand and logically document current and future processes. The incumbent also evaluates and revises the current processes and ensures that the logical flows make sense. Additionally, the Technical Writer researches best practices around new writing methods so that they can improve the maturity of new and existing documentation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and interview internal stakeholders to determine current and future operating procedures in place as related to products and services offered.
- Develop and maintain technical network and system diagrams.
- Develop and maintain operational procedures and run book data for enterprise operations.
- Research best practices around new writing methods, processes, and tools.
- Partner with subject matter experts to understand application and documentation requirements.
- Document and edit material for reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, catalogs, and publications that relate to the installation, operation, and maintenance of operating equipment (i.e. both hardware and software).
- Validate the existing, documented process flows to ensure the logical sequence of their output.
- Organize all material for conciseness, style, and consistent terminology.
- Maintain records and files of technical work.
- Plan and outline topics, and produce content in a manner suitable for the target audience.
- Create content for different output formats such as online help, online manuals and published manuals.
- Develop, recommend, implement, and adhere to documentation standards.
- Use network and system mapping tools to generate and maintain system and network documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Technology or a related field required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience working as a technical writer in the I.T. field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience documenting network and application environments highly preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and direct, relevant experience may be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s Degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Networking Operations and SDLC.
- Candidate must have excellent writing skills and knowledge of writing style guidelines.
- Experience with Web application development or coding experience is a plus.
- Experience managing multiple, parallel document updates and revisions.
- Strong technical verbal and written communication skills with the ability to simplify terminology that a non-technical end user and/or senior executive can understand.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.