Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees. Are you ready to join our team?SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Technology Director Architecture is responsible for providing Architecture leadership to ensure technology investments are in alignment with architectural guidelines and business strategy. As an IT leader, this role will utilize education, guidance and governance processes to maximize return on technology investment, and reduce time to capability, while minimizing operational costs. The Director will develop architecture solutions, designs, and implement product design roadmaps. As part of the IT management team the director will be responsible for executing strategy, technical leadership, developing teams, solutions, prioritizing projects, resources and delivering results on our business systems technology platforms.
This role is responsible for one or more IT Service Offerings which serve the needs of internal or external customers within Amtrak. This role may be responsible for the CapEx and OpEx budget associated with the Architecture Service Offering(s) and ensures optimum utilization of investment against the company priorities
The Director will often be the single point of contact (SPOC) for all aspects of the Architecture service offering and is accountable for ensuring it is managed with a business focus. This role is also responsible for producing and maintaining documentation and materials regarding the service
This role in the Fleet Technology Services team provides technology architecture leadership to ongoing new fleet delivery work for a wide range of technologies ranging from passenger information systems, on-board CCTV surveillance systems, seat reservations, analytics & information management, as well as ground-side safety, asset management & ERP systems.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for collaborating with Service and Business owners to create a architecture and technology plan to support one of more IT Services / Service Offerings. Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following: (See Amendment)
- Collaborates with the Senior Director of Enterprise Architecture (Service Owner) to ensure service offering is consistent in process and spirit with the Service Offering.
- Confers with IT Service Offering leader and direct reports to develop a plan to ensure architecture is driving technology plans and delivery of technology.
- Establishes measurable individual and team objectives that are aligned with business and organizational goals. Documents and presents performance assessments.
- Recognizes and rewards associates commensurate with performance.
- Implements organizational practices for staffing, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), diversity, performance management, development, reward and recognition, and retention.
- Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives. Forecasts new skill requirements based on emerging technologies.
- Participates in IT workforce deployment activities.
- Rapidly comes up to speed with diverse technology stacks utilized for implementing fleet IT solutions.
- Works with technical leads, project managers and solution architects to provide technology architecture leadership over multiple parallel train equipment workstreams.
- Identifies gaps, risks and issues with fleet technology workstreams and surfaces them to project management, technical leadership and program management.
- Leads resolution and mitigation efforts for gaps, risks and issues as appropriate.
- Engages with ongoing fleet strategy and incorporates into delivery initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field with 11+ year's relevant experience or equivalent work experience.
- 15+ years of relevant work experience in business systems, development and/or support functions with a focus on Architecture and Technology Strategy.
- Client expectation management, Program management, Financial management and Technology product delivery experience is required.
- 11+ years of relevant technical and business managerial experience with 2 to 3 years leading an Architecture Practice.
- May require knowledge of one processes/services. Business experience should include assignments in multiple business and technical processes.
- Technical and/or ITIL, or equivalent Certifications.
- Must have expert knowledge as described in amendment.
- Requires leadership experience in managing architecture teams and influencing executive level management and key stakeholders.
- Requires demonstrated ability to manage multiple architecture engagement and effectively plan and use staff to ensure the architecture view.
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, work well with others in an integrated team environment, and must be self-motivated.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Management or similar relevant field.
- 13+ years of relevant work experience preferred.
- Experience working in large complex companies that heavily rely on real time 24x7 IT operations to successfully service external customers.
- Experience with passenger transportation and modern support systems for that industry.
- Experience with asset and work management systems and/or ERP systems.
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.Requisition ID:
71807 Posting Location(s):
District of Columbia Job Family/Function:
Information Technology Relocation Offered:
No Travel Requirements:
Up to 25% Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology