Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
The Telephone Operator is responsible for processing all incoming calls from patients, visitors, clinical administrative and support staff and the general public. The Operator operates the paging systems for authorized personnel over a public address system, emergency voice pagers and display priority pagers. Operator processes emergency procedures, monitoring multiple alarms, utilizes and updates an electronic directory database, web site, and other reference material for effective distribution of information and calls. The Operator assists all callers in a polite, articulate, professional, and clear manner. Ability to search phonetically in a database is required. Responsibilities and tasks can be repetitive and persistent, but must be supported in a courteous manner through the duration of a full shift. Operator must be able to accurately process a high rate of telephone calls over an extended period of time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Handles busy communications center while providing excellent customer service.
• Accountable for handling all in-patient information calls. Arranges for in-patient registry as necessary for accuracy.
• Monitors and responds to codes and alarms immediately and determines the appropriate action.
• Operates the Intelli-desk system, incorporating paging, message retrieval, physician registry and overhead paging.
• Makes changes to on-call schedules as needed.
• Responsible for distribution of new/spare/long range pagers, patient room telephones, TTY (Hearing impaired) equipment, batteries, and books on tape for the visually impaired.
• Accurately and legibly records all pertinent information in the log book and incident book and inform any relieving operator of abnormal or unusual circumstances verbally.
• Follow standard change-of-shift protocol and documentation.
• Uses good judgment, prioritizes work orders, and notify the "appropriate" supervisor of any unusual circumstances.
• Clearly mark all packages, envelopes, newspapers, etc., so that others can determine what action to take.
• Report all equipment malfunctions immediately or corrects as directed by department policy.
• Keep the department neat and clean.
• Adhere to department and CCH standards in all areas including confidentiality and security
• Required to attend quarterly staff meetings.
Education Training and Experience/Skills
• High school graduate or GED required
• Computer and Keyboarding skills required
• A minimum of two years previous customer service experience required
• Multiple phone line experience preferred.
Telephone Operator are required to clearly speak, write, and understand the English language as well as be understood while speaking the English language.
Applicant must display competency of the following additional skills: spoken communication, interaction and versatility, decision making and problem solving, coping, commitment to task, tolerance of ambiguity, decisiveness, alertness and perceptive. Accuracy is necessary as well as the ability to think and respond quickly in stressful or emergency situations.
Work Environment and Hazards
Pleasant work environment. Requires extended periods of sitting, and the ability to acknowledge, respond to and silence alarms in a timely and calm manner.
Work Contact Group
Continual contact with patients, visitors, Physicians, staff and the community
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.