NSA is in search of Computer Science professionals to solve complex problems, test innovative approaches and research new solutions to storing, manipulating, and presenting information. We are looking for you to apply your computer science expertise to projects that seek to create new standards for the transformation of information. If you want to develop technologies and tools and be a part of cutting edge innovations; join our team of experts! Help protect national security interests as part of the world's most advanced team of computer science professionals!
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
How To Apply - External
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday.
The ideal candidate has a desire for continual learning with excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills who is:
- flexible and resilient
- receptive to critique and feedback
- well-organized and able to handle multiple assignments
- able to communicate effectively both orally and written
- able to work effectively (independently and/or within teams) across functional areas in a collaborative environment
Knowledge, skills, and experience in two or more of the following is desired:
- Designing, planning, and conducting in-depth user experience research
- Analysis of qualitative and quantitative research findings, articulation of insights for cross-discipline use, and strategizing solutions from insights to support complex web-based applications and or suites of applications
- Information architecture of applications and data-rich interfaces
- Communication design, visual design, and advance typographic design solutions
- 508 compliant accessible standards for front-end development and user interface design
- Working collaboratively with product stakeholders, managers, and developers to meet milestones according to agile schedules while maintaining a user-centric model
- Formal or informal design and/or technical leadership experience
Professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal: to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign communications for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to classified national security systems. The need to maintain our core technical workforce is vital to provide the capabilities necessary to successfully execute NSA's mission. The increased complexity in supporting the mission requires world class researchers, analysts, programmers, and developers working together in order to design and develop advanced tools, techniques, and systems.
* *PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR PORTFOLIO URL IN THE COVER LETTER SECTION FOR FULL CONSIDERATION OF THIS POSITION**
As a User Experience Designer/Researcher, you will support the strategy and design for next generation analysis tools for the Intelligence Community. Join us to work at the forefront of product development in an organization that's focused on promoting consistent processes and practices across the Agency in the areas of user experience engineering, systems engineering, operational engineering and support, and customer outreach. As a User Experience Designer/Researcher, you will be charged with blending both technical expertise and mission knowledge in providing design support for a breadth of analytic and engagement tools.
As a User Experience Designer/Researcher, responsibilities may include:
- Design user experiences for new and existing web and other framework-based applications from concept to completion
- Design workflows and experiences that are intuitive, effective, and accessible
- Apply human factors and cognition principles to the design of tools, systems, tasks, ergonomics, user interfaces, and environments.
- Communicate ideas through low and high fidelity mockups
- Collect and analyze user behaviors and needs through various types of user research (field studies, surveys, lab studies, A/B testing, etc.)
- Convey research findings and/or design approach by communicating to diverse audiences in both written and oral format
- Generate design systems, building on existing structures and designing new approaches
- Design both a short term and long term UX vision for products
- Think critically through complicated challenges to formulate solutions and collaborate with developers and analysts to implement approved designs