Designs and defines system architecture for new or existing computer systems.
1. Performs expert-level systems development and design work that may include logic design, I/O design, firmware development, model formulation, manufacturing and development cost projections, computer architecture analysis and design, and analog or digital systems engineering.
2. Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
3. Acts as a subject-matter expert to multiple tasks and/or programs.
4. Reviews completion and implementation of system additions and/or enhancements and makes recommendations to management and/or clients.
5. Plans and directs upgrades of operating systems and designs systems enhancements. 6. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves system problems.
7. Determines system specifications, input/output processes, and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
8. Serves as a technical team or task lead.
9. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced systems engineers and may have supervisory responsibility.
10. Serves as liaison with clients, participating in meetings to ensure client needs are met.
11. May provide expertise to multiple projects and tasks.
12. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
13. Participates in special projects as required.
1. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
2. Masters degree preferred.
15-20 years of related systems engineering experience.
The Primary responsibility for this SME level VDI engineer is working alongside Customer Management teams, engineering branch and operational resources to define and enterprise IT strategy, developing system requirements, system designs, product prototyping/proof of concept, unit testing, technology solutions, supporting system integration and implementation and generating periodic program reports focused on technical and schedule status.
Working under minimal supervision, this position will work with a technical group on projects from establishing requirements through to implementation; collaborate with business users to gather requirements; perform current state system analysis; write functional and technical specs, and provide input at weekly engineering and integration meetings and initiatives within your functional area.
This candidate must have the ability to lead and work with a diverse IT infrastructure; including storage/backups, platforms, middleware, software development. Duties include analyzing the existing Citrix infrastructure and developing an adaptable and scalable design to meet the needs of the mission center.
BS or equivalent years of experience system engineering related work. and over 13 plus years experience in IT.
Excellent written and verbal communication with experience developing project briefings, conceptual whitepapers, program planning and other foundational documents.
Demonstrated knowledge in:
Scalability and capacity
Researches emerging technologies to determine impact on application / system integration and execution
Work with developers / engineers across disciplines to define customer and system requirements; design a solution that meets the current requirements and is scalable to meet future requirements
Ability to comprehend user business needs and concerns and integrate that understanding with technical skills
Ability to grasp new concepts, technologies, and products quickly
Ability to resolve complex hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations
Experience selectively delivering applications via VDI methods to specific users
Demonstrated hands on experience across the follow disciplines:
*Operating systems - Engineering and enterprise configuration of Microsoft, Unix, Linux
*Storage- Understanding of basic storage principals including RAID, network types, and best practices
*Virtualization/ CLOUD - Experience in developing / implementing complex virtualization systems and automatic provisioning of components to include but not limited to VMware, Vsphere, and ESXi
*Virtual Desktop Infrastructure to include but not limited to XEN desktop, Citrix Netscaler, VM view
Experience with delivering performance -optimized applications through VDI, particularly those that have demanding graphics processing and / or memory needs
Familiarity with multiple virtual desktop application licensing models and delivery methods
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Department: Information Technology