The VMware System Administrator will support the deployment, documentation and sustainment of a next-generation, DoD on-premise cloud services. The client has deployed its own on premise Cloud solution into DoD data centers. The client is operating this Cloud to support DoD Mission Partners meet their Cloud requirements. This approach ensures that (1) DoD Mission Partners can easily directly migrate or support migration efforts for the broad array of complex military applications that would benefit from our Cloud offerings and (2) can evolve with the pace of technology and is not locked into a specific OEM provider.
The VMware System Admin will have a proven track record of sustaining a vCloud Director solution for DoD. This individual will be a VMware System Admin for the engineering team and will work closely with the engineering team responsible for conceiving and delivering a wide variety of cloud services under the program. Deep technical familiarity with VMware products, cloud services in general and using cloud services in support of DoD missions is a must.
Roles and responsibilities include:
• Work closely with engineering during the developments of multiple VMware vCloud Director based Infrastructure as a Services (IaaS) environment solutions for DoD.
• Supports the building of a systems administration and operations support capability for the new vCD based solutions.
• Apply system hardening, STIG settings and resolve vulnerabilities found by Nessus scans.
• Design, document and publish standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the build and sustainment of the VMware infrastructure.
• Support daily environment operations including patch levels and advanced troubleshooting support.
• Share knowledge with existing System Administrators through documentation, presentations, deep dive technical sessions, etc.
• Produce and execute test plan procedures for upgrades and installation of new virtualization products.
• Automate tasks for the operations team such as patching, infrastructure configuration changes and reporting.
• Work closely with vendors to identify and resolve product bugs and initiate feature requests.
• Recommends and takes action to direct the analysis and solutions of problems.
• Apply vendor best practices for vSphere, NSX, vCloud Director, vRealize Suite, etc.
• Identify and remediate deviation from reference architecture.
• Supports resolution actions for Tier 2/3 incident tickets
• Active DoD Top Secret security clearance
• DoD 8570 IAT II certification
• VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification
• Experience with VMware vSphere and similar component services
• Extensive infrastructure knowledge and hands-on experience with DoD datacenters & infrastructure
• 3+ years of experience deploying, and maintaining data center Infrastructure preferably within the DOD.
• 5+ years of hardware experience to include compute, network, & storage
• 1+ years of experience implementing DOD Security Controls
• 3+ years of VMware System Administration experience
• Solid understanding of TCP/IP
• Experience developing documentation for operational support.
• A self-starter that drives solutions to implementation
• Ability to mentor junior and mid-level team members to more proficient in the tasks and activities associated with the management of a cloud provider VMware environment
• Willing to report onsite as indicated above
• Knowledge of and experience with VMware vCloud Director and component services such as vMotion, HA, DRS, vDS, Affinity rules, vCenter, storage vMotion, and P2V migrations
• Experience implementing and operating VMware NSX under vCloud Director
• Experience supporting cloud solutions
• ITIL v3 certification
• Linux and Windows OS experience
• Accreditation of systems under DoD RMF
• 4-6 years of VMware ESXi or VMware ESX 6.x experience