Cox Communications is searching for a Visibility Platform Linux Engineer to join the Advanced Network Platforms team. You will be responsible for sustaining engineering activities for a critical national visibility platform. Specifically, these activities will include testing, maintaining, and documenting methods, techniques, and strategies that allows Cox to collect insightful network and customer metrics that aide in improving user experience, network design, operational activities, and long-term strategic direction. Additionally, as part of a larger engineering team that collaborates with our Product, Strategy, and Marketing partners, you'll help to implement the next generation business intelligence platform at Cox.
As a member of the Advanced Network Platform team, you'll also work with engineers that design our Content Delivery Network and DDoS Mitigation platform. It's a small team delivering state of the art solutions with some of the most exciting technology in the industry. Primary Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Conducts extensive lab evaluations and integration testing of hardware-based tap aggregators/packet brokers and Linux-based server and network elements that encompass the visibility platform.
- Provides critical troubleshooting expertise for problem escalations from Tier-3. These activities could involve validating correct operation of the underlying Linux OS and guest systems, configuration scripts, and custom code.
- Assist the Platform Architect and Design Engineer with upgrades and modifications to all components of the visibility platform. These activities could include heavy scripting, coding, and use of current automation and streaming telemetry technologies such as Ansible, Logstash, Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Kafka.
- 5 years of experience in related field (i.e., Linux/Unix System Admin).3+ years of experience required if candidate possesses a related advanced degree (MS/MBA or above).
- 5 or more years of experience working with UNIX and Linux operating systems with extensive working knowledge of OS configuration, network applications, and network protocols.
- 5 years of experience utilizing UNIX/Linux shell scripting.
- 5 years of experience utilizing Python and Java.
- 5 years of experience working with SQL and Relational Database Management systems.
- 5 years of experience working with ELK stack components (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana)
- 5 years of experience working with Ansible to configure and manage devices in a large-scale network.
- UNIX/Linux system administration: In-depth experience with most common UNIX/Linux services and system administration functions, ranging from shell sessions to specific services (such as Syslog, Sendmail, Apache, X windows, user/group administration, DNS, SSH etc.).
- TCP/IP: In-depth understanding and working experience with TCP/IP networks on a large scale.
- DNS: In-depth to expert level understanding of DNS
- Python: Extensive work experience utilizing Python to deliver solutions.
- Kafka: Good understanding and some working experience.
- Vertica DB: Working knowledge.
Who We Are About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. About Cox
We are the Cox family of businesses. We've been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We're also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We're looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you'll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.