Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
This position is part of the Web Development Team, which is responsible for all member and public-facing web applications, sites, and properties at Rotary International. You will have the opportunity to lead a team of web developers (internal and vendors) as well as be hands on leader who creates technical specifications including defining and extending the software architecture for web-based applications. You will write both proof-of-concept code and production-ready implementations. You will guide and mentor other developers in the implementation of those same web-based applications. Through collaboration with other technical teams, UX designers, web production staff, and other stakeholders throughout the organization, your contributions will provide powerful tools that assist Rotary International and Rotary members in telling Rotary’s story and making positive change in the world.
You Will Have
- Mastery of Object-Oriented Programing concepts and design patterns.
- Experience with functional programming concepts and design patterns.
- Demonstrated experience developing software using ReactJS, Angular, Vue.JS, or another client-side framework.
- Demonstrated experience developing software using Zend, Symfony2, Django, Ruby on Rails, .NET MVC, or another object-oriented web application framework.
- Mastery of code management tools and techniques using git and experience using GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab, or other similar software & services.
- Demonstrated experience with any of the following technologies is a big plus: GraphQL, Drupal.
- Demonstrated experience with localization and internationalization for large software or web applications is a big plus.
- Experience mentoring and leading developers.
- Experience in resource planning.
- Experience as a project lead, technical lead or software architect building web applications.
- Experience using agile methodologies to deliver software projects.
- A degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
You Are Good At
- Applying foundational computer science principles to implement well-designed, easily extended, and maintainable software.
- Communicating technical concepts, both verbally and in written form, to either a technical or non-technical audience.
- Providing guidance and leadership to other developers and technical team members.
- Aiding non-technical team members in business decision-making and prioritization using your technical knowledge and assessment of complexity and risk.
- Adjusting to shifting priorities and multiple parallel work efforts.
- Critical thinking, and technical analysis.
- Team leadership
You Are Open To
- Acquiring and applying new skills
- Working with multidisciplinary (and non-technical) teams
- Applying your technical knowledge
- Working with a diverse, global team
You Will Be Responsible For
- Your key responsibility is to help present develop technical architecture and specific implementations to meet business needs.
- You will help evaluate software and implementation options and document them for technical teams.
- You will help to maintain and extend Rotary’s custom web application platform.
- You will also maintain and develop new functionality across the suite of Rotary websites and applications.
Guiding best practices and standards
- You will help guide the team’s software engineering best practices by documenting standards and completing code reviews.
- You will troubleshoot new and existing code and provide feedback and solutions to structural issues in the codebase as they arise.
- You will advise on feasibility of nonfunctional requirements and ensure successful implementation of features while meeting those requirements.
Supporting strong team dynamics
- You will collaborate with the Development Lead, Web Development Manager, UX, and infrastructure teams to ensure compatibility, interoperability, consistency, and integration with existing applications as needed.
- You will develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal clients to facilitate a productive, supportive environment in a very relationship-based culture.
Collaboration - Build partnerships and work with others to meet shared objectives.
Presence - Demonstrate composure and confidence.
Accountability - Have a clear sense of ownership and take personal responsibility for actions.
Innovation - Move Rotary beyond traditional ways of thinking.
Productivity - Achieve results that move Rotary toward achieving its goals.
Strategy - Identify Rotary’s opportunities and design approaches that align with our strategic goals.
Why work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options