When you join New York Life, you're joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally. Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to launch your data science career? New York Life
is the largest writer of retail life insurance in the U.S. and a top player in annuities, long-term care, and mutual funds. Our company mission for over 175 years has been to serve our customers by investing wisely, growing a portfolio of strategic businesses and remaining true to our mission as a mutual company. Our purpose-driven mind-set has attracted people who want to do good and has resulted in great success for the company and our customers. We are proud to be recognized by notable organizations for our diverse workforce*. New York Life is launching its Data Science Rotational Program within the Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence with a goal to help increase diversity in the data science field.
The Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (CDSAi)
is the innovative corporate data science group within New York Life. We are an over 40 team member team with varied backgrounds and experience, consisting of data scientists, ml ops engineers, and program managers. We design and create unique data-driven solutions for the foundational areas of the company including Sales, Underwriting, Finance, Service, and Marketing using our state-of-the-art computing environment. We are a well-established team delivering novel model-driven solutions using a full suite of machine learning methods that are implemented into real-time business processes and helping inform decisions that drive the company. The Data Science Rotation Program
Do you want to bring your coding skills to production level? Do you want to apply the latest in machine learning methods on real projects that have a real business impact? Through NYL's data science rotation program you will experience the satisfaction of seeing your work be put into production. This program is for new graduates who are looking to gain the experience, skills, support, and exposure that they need to help launch their careers in the data science field. Our program combines challenging work experience and the opportunity to work closely with data science professionals. You will receive training and development, exposure to the business, and mentors to help you network and forge relationships throughout the company.
The Data Science Associates will be rotated through 3 different areas within data science and ml ops engineering in order to acquire a strong foundation. You will work alongside experts on projects that support the business such as using NLP to improve survival model predictions, incorporating new sources of data to improve underwriting accuracy, employing geospatial analytics to identify recruitment and sales opportunities, or using machine learning to improve retention.
The Data Science Rotational Program is built around three key components to ensure future success as a full-fledged data scientist: knowledge, variety, and support: Knowledge - technical and non-technical:
- You are highly encouraged to continue learning. We offer tuition reimbursement for a master's degree and/or data science certificates and pay fees and travel for conferences.
- You will learn from our in-house experts in machine learning, statistics and ml ops engineering. They will guide you either 1-1 through your rotation, as your assigned CDSAi mentor or through special projects.
- You will be exposed to applications of data science through NYL's many data science events, including guest speakers, lunch and learns, Expos, technical talks and more.
- You will be inspired to strengthen other critical components of being an effective data scientist ranging from soft skills (concisely presenting a data story, influencing through data science, and effectively communicating with business partners), program management, ethics in data science, strategy and leadership.
- Not only will you analyze data. Your rotations will take you through the entire modeling development life cycle from project ideation with the business partner, evaluating data, developing data pipelines, analyzing data, building models, data science governance and model deployment.
- Your rotations will be through different areas within CDSAi, so you can build skills in data engineering and machine learning thus providing you a solid grounding.
- You will work with a multitude of different people from your internal colleagues in CDSAi, to your colleagues in the business and technology through different projects.
- From the start, two mentors will be invested in your growth and development - a data science mentor and one actively engaged with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - to guide you along your career
- You will be engaged via 1-1 meetings, small group meetings and through our active Employee Resource Groups to give you a broad perspective of the business and for you to grow your professional network.
We seek candidates who have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or with strong STEM focus graduating in Spring 2022
- Foundational coursework (i.e., Calculus, Linear Algebra, Multivariate Statistics)
- Familiarity with R or Python
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Willingness to pursue further formal education
- Analytically minded
- Intellectually curious about data science and AI
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self-starter and eager to learn
* Forbes 2021: America's Best Employers for Diversity; Human Rights Campaign: Perfect 100% score on the 2021 Corporate Equality Index; 2020 NAFE Top Companies for Executive Women.
Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation . We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Job Requisition ID: 85537