Db2 Mainframe DBA Support
Location: Whitehouse Station
Seeking an experienced DB2 z/OS DBA to join its Database Administration team providing administrative and technical support to a wide variety of DB2 customers across the enterprise.
Skills / Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience as a DB2 Database Administrator on mainframe z/OS platform with DB2 data sharing experience. Should be experienced at the v11 release level or beyond and conversant with recent advances and implementation of the new features and functions..
- Prior insurance or financial industry experience a plus
- Experience in IMS database administration will be a significant plus for the successful applicant; at minimum, an active interest in learning IMS as practiced and participating in its administration is highly desirable.
- Timely, efficient and accurate production support and problem resolution
- Proficient in SQL performance evaluation and tuning
- Logical and physical database design skills
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with IBM and BMC DB2 utilities; BMC NGT (formerly CDB) Reorg and Image Copy experience preferred
- Experience with DB2 performance monitoring tools and metrics evaluation; BMC s MainView for DB2 and APPTUNE as well as IBM Tivoli Decision Support for z/OS preferred.
- Knowledge of managing DB2 ODBC entries; e.g., cataloging z/OS DB2 database and node entries.
- Familiarity with debugging connectivity issues between client/ODBC and z/OS platforms.
- Experience with DB2 Connect/Gateway administration
- Experience with SAP DirectConnect is a plus
- Strong experience with JCL, TSO/ISPF, and z/OS utilities
- Experience supporting a multi-terabyte data environment
- Experience supporting high throughput OLTP applications
- Experience supporting Sarbanes-Oxley and other compliance and security related implementation and reporting requirements
- Experience collaborating with application development and systems programming teams across multiple organizations and global locations a plus.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills; high proficiency in query performance and tuning, log and monitor interpretation, and analysis and resolution of resource utilization issues
- Detailed experience with DB2 utilities and database maintenance processing
- Clear, concise and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit good time management skills, independent thinking and decision-making capabilities
- Experienced in providing quality off-hours on-call support
- Self-motivated individual and a team player; is highly responsible and accountable. Demonstrates professional integrity at all times.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline or equivalent work experience required.
DBA staff covers full range of environments. We are not backroom DBAs, nor are we production only or development only DBAs. We are more of logical or Application DBAs but called upon as SMEs for the Db2 zOS environment. We work with IBM-System Programmers. This position is not limited to just mainframe DB2 support, the candidate will also support DB2 middleware (DB2 Connect and SAP's DirectConnect) as well as DB2 cataloging operations on the DB2 Client.
Summary of key skills:
Educational requirements Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline or equivalent work experience required.
Required skills, knowledge, abilities, etc. -
- DB2 zOS v11 or beyond
- Experience with IBM and BMC DB2 utilities; BMC NGT (formerly CDB) Reorg and Image Copy experience
- Experience with DB2 performance monitoring tools and metrics evaluation; BMC s MainView for DB2 and
APPTUNE as well as IBM Tivoli Decision Support for z/OS preferred.
- Strong experience with JCL, TSO/ISPF, and z/OS utilities.
- IMS DBMS experience a plus
- DB2 Connect Gateway experience a plus
- SAP DirectConnect experience a plus