Lead Data Scientist Why WWT?
Fueled by creativity and ideation, World Wide Technology strives to accelerate our growth and nurture future innovation. From our world class culture, to our generous benefits, to developing cutting edge technology solutions, WWT constantly works towards its mission of creating a profitable growth company that is a great place to work for all. We encourage our employees to embrace collaboration, get creative and think outside the box when it comes to delivering some of the most advanced technology solutions for our customers.
At a glance, WWT was founded in 1990 in St. Louis, Missouri. We employ over 7,600 individuals and closed nearly $14 Billion in revenue. We have an inclusive culture and believe our core values are the key to company and employee success. WWT is proud to announce that it has been named on the FORTUNE "100 Best Places to Work For®" list for the 11th consecutive year!
Want to work with highly motivated individuals that come together to form a high-performance team? Come join WWT today! Who is the Consulting Services Team and why join? The Team:
We are hyper-focused on providing business outcomes for our clients. We take on the most challenging problems our customers face and provide innovative solutions that can involve data strategy, analytical modeling, cloud strategy, digital transformation, AI/ML platforms, and security services. We are made up of experienced management consultants, data scientists with PhDs from the top universities, and engineers with experience in industry and government agencies. Our goal is to bring together business acumen with full-stack technical know-how to develop innovative solutions for our clients' most complex challenges.Role Overview
As a Lead DataScientist
, you will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of solution architects, engineers, and data scientists on a wide range of business problems.You willnot only work on large scale projects to provide value to our customers but will also routinely contribute to building our internal R&D capability to keep our edge in today's data science. We work on providing analytic solutions to a wide range of clients coming from the domains of mining, healthcare, financial services, retail industry, etc.
We are looking for candidates who not just apply algorithms and packages but also understand the working behind them and can develop their own algorithms/IP. Candidates who are passionate about real world business problems tend to also be good data scientists and think creatively. Responsibilities:
- Work closely with customers and WWT business, engineering, and technology teams
- Work with large, complex data sets. Solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed. Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Work on advanced analytics areas like deep learning and complex statistical data analysis
- Interaction with clients including in-person meetings, towards making business recommendations with effective presentations of findings, including visual displays of quantitative information
- Develop analysis, forecasting and optimization methods/models to provide the business solution to the clients
- Research and develop internal capabilities to enhance the skill sets on latest data science developments, work towards producing innovative solutions to the existing challenges
- Perform quality control of deliverables
- Provide thought leadership in algorithmic and process innovations, and contribute to creativity in solving unconventional problems
- Be a mentor to junior members of the team
- Preferably a Ph.D. but also open to master's or bachelor's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, computer science, economics, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, or other STEM fields)
Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 6-10 years of relevant work experience in data analysis or related field. (e.g., as a statistician / data scientist/ data engineer).Ph.D. Research and post-doctoral experience also counts.
We don't need an exceptional IQ of 160. All we need is curiosity, humility, and openness to learn. In other words, we just need a Beginner's Mind, even if you have decades of professional experience.
- Experience with writing SQL queries, performing basic conversion and transformations (e.g., formatting date string), and obtaining statistical summaries by using windowing functions.
- Experience with usage of R/RStudio, Python, Jupyter Notebook
- Experience with version control tool like Git
- Strong experience with Excel and PowerPoint to present results
- Ability to write scripts to automate ETL tasks
- Experience in AI / Deep Learning for text/image/video analytics preferred
- Experience in Cloud Computing and data streaming preferred
- Ability to run standard model algorithms in R and Python, to perform: classification/regression, clustering, basic text analytics, image recognition, etc. E.g., run a classification problem using random forest, and obtain the variable importance, produce performance metrics/KPIs; run a k-means clustering problem, produce a KPI to quantify the goodness of clusters
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem
- Experience with charting tools & knowledge of the proper charting tool to use, whether Excel or Tableau. For instance, when to use box-and-whiskers plot, when to use waterfall. Ability to zoom-in to smaller data sets in Tableau or display subcategories
- Capable of running multiple scenarios and pick up the optimal solution
- Capable of understanding advanced mathematical or physical explanations, to implement or execute the requested tasks. E.g., Fourier Transform, Power Spectral Density, Monte Carlo simulation, etc.
- Actively participates and contributes in brain-storming session. Can work seamlessly with people from other disciplines: IT engineers, client SMEs, business consultants
- Experience articulating business questions and using mathematical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data. Experience translating analysis results into business recommendations
Team & Business Skills
- Consistently improves communication skills, both verbally and in written materials
- Demonstrated creativity in problem solving
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction. Demonstrated willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Flexibility in task switching. For instance, when there are urgent requests or change of projects, can accommodate the changes without protesting
- Mindful of iterations and quality check in a smaller team, before presenting results to larger audience
- Raises critical issues when detected
- This position will have direct reports
The well-being of WWT employees is essential. So, when it comes to our benefits package, WWT has one of the best. We offer the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Health and Wellbeing: Heath, Dental, and Vision Care, Onsite Health Centers, Employee Assistance Program, Wellness program
- Financial Benefits: Competitive pay, Profit Sharing, 401k Plan with Company Matching, Life and Disability Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off: PTO & Holidays, Parental Leave, Sick Leave, Military Leave, Bereavement
- Additional Perks: Nursing Mothers Benefits, Voluntary Legal, Pet Insurance, Employee Discount Program
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is more than a commitment at WWT -- it is the foundation of what we do. Through diverse networks and pipelines, we have a clear vision: to create a Great Place to Work for All. We believe inclusion includes U. Be who U are at WWT!
Preferred Locations: NJ, GA, MO, CA, WA and potentially others. **WWT has a vaccine requirement for all of its U.S. workforce. All new hires must be fully vaccinated before starting at WWT. Appropriate religious and medical accommodations will be made and can be discussed in the pre-hire process.**
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities