The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.Job Summary
The Vehicle Design and Innovation Department (VDID) provides space vehicle design and analysis, rapid systems engineering processes, and vehicle systems engineering support throughout the program acquisition lifecycle using systems engineers, modeling capabilities, rapid prototyping tools, and dedicated engineering development facilities. As a member of VDID you will be developing the next generation of innovative spacecraft designs to solve the most challenging problems of our US Space Force, Intelligence Community, NASA, NOAA, and commercial/international customers. This is a full-time position based in Chantilly, VA.
This position is available as an Engineering Specialist or Senior Engineering Specialist What You'll Be Doing
- Providing vehicle systems engineering support in the execution of customer programs
- Leading and participating in conceptual and preliminary design studies and trades of space systems, to include multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Evaluating spacecraft design and architecture concepts and participate in design reviews
- Working with government and program office personnel and members of ETG
- Developing tools and models that support spacecraft design and analysis activities
Additional Responsibilities [Senior Engineering Specialist]
What You Need to be Successful
- Mentoring junior members of the department
- Independently scoping tasks and building a program execution plans
- A good knowledge of spacecraft subsystems and system engineering
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapt quickly to change, and demonstrate initiative under pressure
- Experience in developing, leading, and working on multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Demonstrated experience in concurrent engineering tools, processes, and methodologies
- Infrequent domestic travel [
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Additional Requirements [Senior Engineering Specialist]
How You Can Stand Out
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and conduct long-range technical studies
- Demonstrated ability to bring in new work beyond personal activities from internal and external sources
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and organize teams across multiple technical domains
- Previous experience acting as an organization's principle representative at technical meetings
- Current or active TS/SSBI
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.) from an accredited program in engineering or relevant engineering discipline (pursuing or conferred within last 12 months).
- Proficiency in commercial simulation tools/programming languages, including one or more of: MATLAB, Python, Simulink, STK, C++, SolidWorks
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Strong, demonstrated personal initiative
- Current or active TS/SSBI
- Experience with NASA Goddard and/or the Intelligence Community
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation. Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .